You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching from computer backup of iPhone to iCloud backup of iPhone

I need to preserve some space on my hard drive and am currently backing up my iPhone to my computer. How do I switch from backing up to my Mac to backing up to iCloud? After I do it, I'm assuming I'd want to erase the old backup from my iPhone. How do I do that?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 3:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2020 4:15 AM

Go to Settings > Apple ID > iCloud and turn on iCloud Backup, then select 'Backup Now'. The initial backup will take a while depending on the amount of apps etc. on your phone. Once that backup is done you can delete the backup from your computer (I think that's what you meant by 'deleting old backup from iPhone?).

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 27, 2020 4:15 AM in response to John C Lin

Go to Settings > Apple ID > iCloud and turn on iCloud Backup, then select 'Backup Now'. The initial backup will take a while depending on the amount of apps etc. on your phone. Once that backup is done you can delete the backup from your computer (I think that's what you meant by 'deleting old backup from iPhone?).

Switching from computer backup of iPhone to iCloud backup of iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.