You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On expanding compound clip, project disappears and can't reassemble clip.

I only use compound clips occasionally and on the rare occasions I need to expand them I get the following problems.

1. The rest of the project disappears leaving just the components of the compound clip in the timeline.
  2. I cannot reassemble the clip . . . I don't know how.

So to get out of the problem I have always hit Command-Z to get back to normal.

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 1:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 1:38 AM

Please post some screenshots illustrating the problem.

I am not sure but it seems that rather than disassembling the compound you may be opening it in its own timeline...

To get rid of a compound and have its component clips back where there were, just select the compound and do Clip->Break Apart Clip Items

If instead you are trying to edit the compound, just double-click - that will show you just the clips that make up the compound; but your project is still intact. Click the navigation "<" above the timeline to go back to the project.

It I misunderstood the problem, please elaborate.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 24, 2020 1:38 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Please post some screenshots illustrating the problem.

I am not sure but it seems that rather than disassembling the compound you may be opening it in its own timeline...

To get rid of a compound and have its component clips back where there were, just select the compound and do Clip->Break Apart Clip Items

If instead you are trying to edit the compound, just double-click - that will show you just the clips that make up the compound; but your project is still intact. Click the navigation "<" above the timeline to go back to the project.

It I misunderstood the problem, please elaborate.

On expanding compound clip, project disappears and can't reassemble clip.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.