You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 Mac mini can’t get past the white screen on startup...then restarts.

Yes I know, it’s a “legacy” product...early 2011 model so can’t upgrade beyond High Sierra.

so on startup, it:

• chimes
  • apple logo appears
  • progress bar starts moving and gets to c. 2/3 complete..
  • brief black screen (this used to lead to desktop)
  • white screen with faint vertical lines. This pauses for around 10 seconds....and restarts.

loop.

I’ve read as much t/s as I can find. I have performed all of the following tasks several times in different orders...

• tried to boot in safe mode. This couldn’t be achieved. (Same progression of events as above)
  • tried to boot in recovery mode. This couldn’t be achieved. (Same as above)
  • reset PRAM/NVRAM. Confirmatory double chime. No change to result..
  • reboot in verbose mode, multiple times. Completed, led to same black screen then white screen then restart..
  • Tried internet recovery - the world spun.....the progress bar progressed...then same result as before
  • boot in single user mode and tried “/sbin/fsck -fy” followed by reboot. No change to outcome
  • press start button holding “d”. Got the diagnostics screen and ran hardware test. No issues identified.

is there anything else I can try, short of going to a Genius Bar in the first week of shops opening after COVID?

I know one of the answers is...get a new Mac. That will come... but I need this thing working for now..

thanks!

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 4:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2020 6:28 PM

Hello,

You will need to call Apple for diagnosis.

Contact AppleCare

Similar questions

1 reply

2011 Mac mini can’t get past the white screen on startup...then restarts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.