You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil charging

How do I charge the Apple Pencil with 6th generation iPad

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 1:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2020 5:39 PM

Yes, leaving the pencil uncharged for that many months killed the teeny tiny battery in the pencil. The batteries in them require being charged all the time. Once they die, they are dead and cannot be brought back to life. The only option at that point is to buy a new pencil and remember to keep it charged.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 14, 2020 5:39 PM in response to JustJnl

Yes, leaving the pencil uncharged for that many months killed the teeny tiny battery in the pencil. The batteries in them require being charged all the time. Once they die, they are dead and cannot be brought back to life. The only option at that point is to buy a new pencil and remember to keep it charged.

Jun 14, 2020 3:26 PM in response to JustJnl

There are two ways to charge an Apple Pencil 1st generation

1 - As Quickpost said - plug the pencil into the lightning port on your iPad, when you check battery widget it should show the pencil as charging

2 - Within the box of your Apple Pencil you got a lightning adaptor which you can plug one end onto the end of your pencil and the other end onto a lightning charger. I prefer this way as it means I don't have a pencil sticking out my iPad Air where it could get damaged.

If you have left your pencil for a while without using it could mean the battery is damaged and can't be charged

Apple Support information about charing pencils - Charge your Apple Pencil and check the battery - Apple Support

Apple Pencil charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.