You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

💡 Did you know?

General and ongoing cleaning can help you maintain your AirPods or AirPods Pro.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Right AirPod Difficulty

I bought a pair of AirPods about 5 months ago. I’ve been having a problem lately with my right AirPod. Sound comes out and of it fine. It’s just the automatic ear detection hasn’t been working properly. When it does, at some point my music always stops and it starts to not work right again. Usually when I take my left AirPod out and leave my right one in, my audio switches to my phone speaker. My left AirPod automatic ear detection always works. The double tap feature on my right AirPod isn’t even working and the setting is definitely right. Both of my AirPods are pretty clean too. I’ve reset my AirPods at least 7 times since this problem started. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 8:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 8:33 PM

TA_Gaming Said:

"Right AirPod Difficulty: I bought a pair of AirPods about 5 months ago. I’ve been having a problem lately with my right AirPod. Sound comes out and of it fine. It’s just the automatic ear detection hasn’t been working properly. [...]Usually when I take my left AirPod out and leave my right one in, my audio switches to my phone speaker. [...]My left AirPod automatic ear detection always works. The double tap feature on my right AirPod isn’t even working and the setting is definitely right. [...]"

-------

Your Next Steps:

Troubleshoot this via these Apple Support links:

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2020 8:33 PM in response to TA_Gaming

TA_Gaming Said:

"Right AirPod Difficulty: I bought a pair of AirPods about 5 months ago. I’ve been having a problem lately with my right AirPod. Sound comes out and of it fine. It’s just the automatic ear detection hasn’t been working properly. [...]Usually when I take my left AirPod out and leave my right one in, my audio switches to my phone speaker. [...]My left AirPod automatic ear detection always works. The double tap feature on my right AirPod isn’t even working and the setting is definitely right. [...]"

-------

Your Next Steps:

Troubleshoot this via these Apple Support links:

Jun 9, 2020 10:59 AM in response to TA_Gaming

TA_Gaming Said:

"Right AirPod Difficulty: This didn’t help me at all. My right airpod is still having trouble with automatic ear detection. I don’t know what to do. It used to work perfectly."

-------

A Few More Thoughts on Troubleshooting This:

A. Increasing Volume:

If you hear nothing, increase the volume on the device you are using these with. If using a media player, increase the volume on that as well.

B. Verify the Balance:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Accessibility
  4. Scroll Down: to Hearing
  5. Adjust: the audio volume balance

C. Enable Bluetooth - But Only in this Device:

If any other Bluetooth device are nearby, then disable Bluetooth on them. Make sure that only this one device you are trying to use these with has Bluetooth enabled

D. Also, Clear Out Earwax:

How to clean your AirPods and EarPods - Apple Support

Jul 4, 2020 11:17 PM in response to TA_Gaming

TA_Gaming Said:

"Right AirPod Difficulty: I’ve tried all these things and it’s still not working. It won’t even let me do the double tap on the right airpod and I know that Next Track is set on the right airpod settings. What should I do? I think I have flawed/not properly made airpods."

-------

A Few Thoughts:

• Perhaps this is a Faulty Device?:

If such is the case, then contact Apple - you have up to 14 days to return this and get your money back. After that, you have a one-year, limited-warranty. If you purchases an AppleCare protection, it could add up to 2 years of protection on top of that. So, in case it is a faulty device, have this looked at.

• Apple Send-In Service:

As for having AirPods, you have a one-year limited-time warranty. At the moment, with the Coronavirus Pandemic, many, many Apple Stores are still closed at the moment. So, Send-In Service may be the only available option for getting this serviced. So, have Apple take this in through Send-In Service. They will send you a box; you would ship it out to Apple; their engineers would look at it; and the would send it back to you.

• Apple Support Contact Information:

--- Contact Us - Choose Locations

--- USA: 1(800)MY-APPLE

--- Proceed from there as Necessary

Jul 5, 2020 9:38 PM in response to TA_Gaming

TA_Gaming Said:

"Right AirPod Difficulty: Can I have the Send in Service link?"

-------

Set this Up with Apple Support:

There is no link. You need to contact Apple Support, and request them to send you a box.

Contact Methods for Apple Support:

A. Phone Support Info:

B. Chat Session Info:

Being that phone calls are taking a moment, perform a chat session with Apple Support.

Setting Up the Cat Session:

1. Go to: support.apple.com
  2. Scroll Down to "Tell us how we can help"
  3. Select: Get Support
  4. Proceed from there as Necessary

Note: Phone Calls are Currently a Wait:

Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic, phone calls are taking a lot longer than usual. So, take this up with Apple, despite how long it may take to get on the phone. With many out of work, and many home from school, phone calls will likely take a while to go through — so, just stay on the line. Ask the Apple Rep — they’ll see this and will run you through the fix. Chats are taking a bit longer too.

Right AirPod Difficulty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.