You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email account doesn't display in Mail

I have several different email accounts, and they all display their own inbox in Mail except for one, my newest account. As I recall, in the past whenever I created a new email address in Mail, it's own inbox automatically displayed. What setting did I miss this time around so that my latest email address doesn't display in Mail?

I'm running High Sierra on a 2010 27" iMac.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 28, 2020 6:45 PM

7 replies

May 28, 2020 8:03 PM in response to miwealia

miwealia Said:

Email account doesn't display in Mail: I'm not sure what you mean by "app password." The app that I'm using is the Mac-native Mail app. I don't think there's a password required to use the app.

———-

App Passwords:

Your eMail provider would give you a long, alphanumeric password to enter, when signing into your eMail Account from the app you are using to sync your eMail with it.

As an Example:

For use of an AOL Account, Go Here: Create and manage third-party app passwords - AOL Help

May 28, 2020 7:14 PM in response to miwealia

miwealia Said:

Email account doesn't display in Mail: [...]I recall, in the past whenever I created a new email address in Mail, it's own inbox automatically displayed.[...]”

———-

Use of an App Password?:

Is there an app password that you must use? If so, use that to log in, and associate your High Sierra Mac with your eMail account.

Go Here: Create and manage third-party app passwords - AOL Help

May 28, 2020 7:27 PM in response to BDAqua

I checked, and yes, it shows up on the left. And yes, the Enable the Account is checked. However, the status line below that is constantly saying "Checking." When I click on the Server Settings tab, it says None. When I try to select "[email address] (Offline)" it reads that for a few seconds and then gets set back to None. But I don't know why it says (Offline) because I can access this new email account through my browser (Safari). Any ideas?

May 28, 2020 7:43 PM in response to miwealia

Yes, browser uses whole different ports &protocol.

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, Enter the part after the @sign in the search bar, then either check those Passwords under those items, change them, or delete it and start over.

You may have multiple entries.

The Password rejection can confuse people since it's a catch all meaning...

This Password, Username, Authentication method... is not recognized on this Port to this Server.

If WebMail works in a browser, it's not Name or Password, but one of the other ones.

Or Keychain has more than 2 entries for that account one incoming, one outgoing.

The receiving email ports are:

IMAP is port 143

IMAP-SSL is port 993

POP is port 110

POP-SSL is port 995

Outgoing ports are...

SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

Email account doesn't display in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.