You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a new macbook and my icloud drive is not synching

I bought a new MacBook air and I am using the same Apple ID but the iCloud drive is not in synch. I see no files in Finder in the new Mac

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 28, 2020 11:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 28, 2020 12:14 PM

Did the iCloud drive option on your system preferences turned on?

You can follow these instructions provided by Apple:

1. From your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Make sure that iCloud Drive is turned on.
  3. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
  4. Choose Desktop & Documents Folders.
  5. Click Done.

You can know more on this link: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

I hope it helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 28, 2020 12:14 PM in response to papa2015

Did the iCloud drive option on your system preferences turned on?

You can follow these instructions provided by Apple:

1. From your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
  2. Make sure that iCloud Drive is turned on.
  3. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
  4. Choose Desktop & Documents Folders.
  5. Click Done.

You can know more on this link: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

I hope it helps.

May 28, 2020 1:11 PM in response to Pactricia666

thanks for your help. Yes, I had already done what you propose.

I have migrated and setup several macs in the past and none of the previous times I had issues with new installs and transfers from older Macs

I was wondering if there is something on the migration process or ID that is creating the problem. I am signed in with the same Apple ID as my previous functioning Mac but in the new machine the Icloud drive is empty (shows Desktop and DOcuments as folders with no files in it). The cloud is ok since I can access from iPhone and iPad.

I bought a new macbook and my icloud drive is not synching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.