You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime player quits

I have a new MacBookAir 2020, Catalina OS 10.15.4, 13in. Running Quicktime Player 10.5

I've only had the Mac for 2 months. Quicktime used to work fine. Now it closes after 10 seconds of being open. Regardless of playing a video file, or just opening the player and waiting- after 10 seconds it closes. Every time. Then a message box appears saying QuickTime Player quit unexpectedly- ignore, send report, cancel. I performed the built-in diagnostic and no problems were found. And I made sure nothing external was attached that might not be compatible with the Mac. Is there a way to repair it? I only see older versions to download on this website. This is my first Mac so this is a real bummer.

Thanks for any advice.

Posted on May 23, 2020 6:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2020 7:21 PM

Delete the QuickTime preference file, and the saved state folder. Then try again.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX.plist

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX.savedState

where ~ signifies the user home folder.

The user Library folder may be hidden. Open the user home folder, then Show View Options, then verify that Show Library folder is ticked.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 24, 2020 7:21 PM in response to MoopaD

Delete the QuickTime preference file, and the saved state folder. Then try again.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX.plist

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX.savedState

where ~ signifies the user home folder.

The user Library folder may be hidden. Open the user home folder, then Show View Options, then verify that Show Library folder is ticked.

Jul 4, 2020 10:06 AM in response to MoopaD

So Quicktime player still doesn't work. I tried to delete it by dragging it to trash and it resists. I cannot successfully delete it. What else can I try to delete/uninstall it? And how would I go about re-downloading/re-installing Quicktime? It seems like it would be a good program if it would ever work properly.

Quicktime player quits

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.