You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xr lock button stops working after taking a screenshot.

For the past month or two I've had an issue where as soon as I take a screenshot, the lock button stops working -- at least as far as locking/sleep -- goes. It will still physically function fine, there is nothing blocking the button from working, and it will still allow me to take screenshots or turn off the phone.

The only way to resolve this issue is to shut off the phone and restart it, at which point the lock feature will work perfectly fine again. It's quite annoying always having to restart your phone.

I've attempted apple support twice, including updating the system and multiple hard resets. Neither of these worked, and we also ran diagnostics and nothing came back wrong. It's clearly a software issue, but the only thing they can suggest is for me to take it to a repair facility (90 miles away) or mail it in (it's my only phone, I can't go weeks or even days without it. I do have Apple Care +, but don't want to pay the $99 copay when it's a software issue and nothing I did to physically damage the phone.

Anyone else have this issue? Anyone have tips on fixing it?

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on May 21, 2020 12:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 21, 2020 1:50 PM

Hello,

Until you get it sorted out, you can set up a virtual lock button on the screen. I use it myself due to an injury and it works reasonable well:

Use AssistiveTouch on iPhone - Apple Support

Good luck.

2 replies

Xr lock button stops working after taking a screenshot.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.