You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage glitches switched iphones

I recently switched to a newer(ha! iPhone 5) because older iPhone broke. I can’t select correct phone number for imessages. iMessage number defaults to previously used phone number of this phone.

Verification wheel goes round and round...nothing

To make matters worse, iMessages that should go to my wife’s iPhone 6 are defaulting to this phone that used to be hers, instead of going to her newer phone.

Now neither phone’s iMessage is working correctly. Can anyone help?

One phone at a time? In simple terms?

Thanks

iPhone 5

Posted on May 17, 2020 10:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 17, 2020 2:18 PM

both phones in Settings, messages, turn off iMessage.

That should deregister from the old numbers.

Restart the phones, preferably force restart.

Settings, General, Reset, Reset network settings both phones.

Turn imessage back on. Check the number is correct.

3 replies

May 17, 2020 3:39 PM in response to LD150

When I send iMessages to older iPhone 5, it still defaults to the previously used phone number that was the previous iMessage number for that phone. I want to deregister the number, but it says it will remove that number from ALL devices. The number I want to remove is currently a working number on the iPhone 6, which I don’t want to remove. That’s the phone I upgraded from the 5

iMessage glitches switched iphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.