You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving referenced Photos on Macos

I am about to acquire a new mac. My 196,952 photos and videos are stored externally to Photos. So these are "referenced" photos. When I do the time machine restore onto a new disk how will Photos reference them or is there a way to relocate them to a newly named disk on my new mac.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 9, 2020 9:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 10:20 AM

Are the referenced files stored on your current mac on the system volume or on an external volume?

• If the referenced items are on external volume, Photos will find them, if you connect the external volume to your new mac.
  • If the photos are on your system volume, Photos may not find them and you will have to reconnect them to the Photos Library. When you launch Photos the first time and open a photo, Photos will ask you to find the folder with the photo. Point photos to the folder and Photos will reconnect the referenced files in this folder. Do not rename any folders along the path.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 9, 2020 10:20 AM in response to dbajohn

Are the referenced files stored on your current mac on the system volume or on an external volume?

• If the referenced items are on external volume, Photos will find them, if you connect the external volume to your new mac.
  • If the photos are on your system volume, Photos may not find them and you will have to reconnect them to the Photos Library. When you launch Photos the first time and open a photo, Photos will ask you to find the folder with the photo. Point photos to the folder and Photos will reconnect the referenced files in this folder. Do not rename any folders along the path.

May 9, 2020 10:42 AM in response to léonie

The images are on my system volume. Because I will have both new and old mac around for a while, the new system volume name will not be the same on the two macs.

So I'm aware of the image by image reconnect feature. I also think there is a folder by folder reconnect feature. But does that imply I need to do the reconnect for all 196,952 files or for all 51,105 directories or can I do it for a single all-encompassing directory (Pictures) on my drive.

moving referenced Photos on Macos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.