You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime stops playing videos

So after about 16 minutes on any quicktime file I have, the player just stops playing the video. It happens all the time and I'm not sure if anyone else has similar issues. I am not near my storage capacity, I have more than enough ram available, and am on the latest update. Currently these videos are being played locally, and are not being streamed.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 7, 2020 11:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 8, 2020 4:57 PM

I actually have found the source of the problem. Most of the files I've been opening were downloaded from the internet, and I had downloaded a tv series. Although the episodes were the same length, they were very different in file sizes. This is actually an error with downloads, not the file or OS system.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 8, 2020 4:57 PM in response to gray2887

I actually have found the source of the problem. Most of the files I've been opening were downloaded from the internet, and I had downloaded a tv series. Although the episodes were the same length, they were very different in file sizes. This is actually an error with downloads, not the file or OS system.

May 8, 2020 5:20 PM in response to gray2887

Hi gray2887,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you're having an issue playing videos past 16 minutes in length with QuickTime and I'd like to help.

Have you restarted your Mac since noticing this issue? If not, go ahead and do that, as a restart can resolve unusual issues.

Can you play any of these videos with a different app to test the behavior? This article shows how to see if there is another app capable of playing a file: If an audio or video file doesn't play on Mac Look in the section titled "How to search for an app that works with your file".

Did you record these videos or get them from another source? If from another source, contact the source to let them know what's happening.

If you recorded these videos, try starting in safe mode to see if that makes a difference in the play length.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

It may take longer to finish the start up, as safe mode does some system checks, and can sometimes resolve issues. You'll also see some differences in the display. This is expected with safe mode, and when you restart normally, they'll be gone. Test and then restart and test again.

Thanks!

Quicktime stops playing videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.