You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a Behringer 1204USB mixer with GarageBand on an iMac to record radio shows as live

I'm wanting to record my regular radio show using a Behringer 1204USB mixer and GarageBand. I want to record the show 'as live' rather than in blocks of audio on separate tracks. I have the mixer connected via USB and stereo splitter cable from the Line In stereo aux sends in the mixer and then connected to the iMac via a 3.5mm headphone jack. I have successfully been able to record my speech into GarageBand.

I'm wanting to play in music to the show using channel 7/8 of the mixer (the stereo channel) with music content coming from my iTunes. Problem I have is that when I play the recording back my speech comes out but the music I play is not audible on the track. I figure I've not clicked on the right setting in GarageBand or alternatively have a button on the mixer either pressed in or not pressed in.

I've watched endless YouTube tutorials to try and work this out so far to no avail. Any help/suggestions as to what might be the issue or issues here would be very welcome. I'm new to mixers and have used GarageBand before now for recording radio shows using a USB condensor mic and for editing only so I'm far from an expert on either the Behringer 1204 or GarageBand.

Many thanks.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on May 4, 2020 9:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 4, 2020 1:56 PM

That looks correct, since the 1204 uses generic drivers on Mac. I *think* I might know the problem here! First, you are able to hear the iTunes playback on headphones or whatever you’re using to monitor the mixer, right?

If so...go to channel 7/8 and make sure the Mute/alt 3-4 switch is up and not pressed in. If it’s pressed in, it sends that channel to the monitor mix *only*. The USB output only outputs the *Main Mix*, so anything routed to the monitor group will not record to your computer. I think so anyways.

Let me know how it goes.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 4, 2020 1:56 PM in response to amanwithabeard102

That looks correct, since the 1204 uses generic drivers on Mac. I *think* I might know the problem here! First, you are able to hear the iTunes playback on headphones or whatever you’re using to monitor the mixer, right?

If so...go to channel 7/8 and make sure the Mute/alt 3-4 switch is up and not pressed in. If it’s pressed in, it sends that channel to the monitor mix *only*. The USB output only outputs the *Main Mix*, so anything routed to the monitor group will not record to your computer. I think so anyways.

Let me know how it goes.

May 4, 2020 1:02 PM in response to amanwithabeard102

Yes, the input/output settings are in Preferences in GarageBand.

I think the computer might be trying to prevent a feedback loop, so that’s where changing the system settings should help.

The lower pair of jacks on your mixer are 7/8, not the aux sends, which are above and won’t work for this. I’ve made a diagram of what is what on the 1204USB. The writing is poor here, but I’m trying to write on the touch screen on the iPad, which is not easy. Mess around with the three sets of controls I’ve circled on the lower part of the mixer, if the audio/midi setup and GarageBand preferences don’t fix the issue. I’m not sure exactly what you have pressed on your mixer so I can’t tell for sure what might be going on. Those controls affect monitor mixes, headphone mixes, and some of the USB stuff. If you try all of this and the settings, and still don’t have any luck, try taking a picture of your mixer setup, audio/midi setup, GarageBand track view, and GarageBand Preferences settings and post them here.

May 4, 2020 10:50 AM in response to amanwithabeard102

Hi,

Disclaimer, I’m not particularly familiar with your mixer, nor am I using Catalina (I’m on Mojave). However I’ve done my share of recording on GarageBand and other programs with audio interfaces and a usb mixer (Yamaha MG10XU).

It sounds like you have the audio input setting okay in GarageBand since you can record successfully. Check under Audio Midi Setup and make sure your mixer isn’t set to being the system audio interface. That way you can use the volume controls to control your headphone output independently of the mixer. Just in case that’s causing an issue. Then double check your GarageBand in/out settings as they may change when you change the system audio assignment.

Does your mixer have USB Audio send/return to where you can have your audio come into the mixer from your computer over USB, and then be routed to loop back and be sent out over USB with the rest of your mix? That’s how I’ve used my usb mixer and it would greatly simplify the number of things that could be going wrong. In that case you would want the mixer to be set as the system audio assignment.

May 4, 2020 11:04 AM in response to amanwithabeard102

Okay, nevermind the comment about usb loopback. Looks like that function isn’t available on your mixer (it’s either USB playback or USB recording, but not both at the same time).

Other thoughts...

Are you connected to the Line Ins 7/8 or the Aux Sends? There’s a big difference in the routing and the sends are outputs, not inputs. There are aux returns but it’s better to use regular inputs when available.

Make sure your music is routed to the main outs and not a monitor or aux mix only. The USB output only records the main stereo mix, so whatever is going through your main outputs goes into the computer.

May 4, 2020 11:47 AM in response to ThompsonPeople

thanks again. I'm currently connected into Line In 7/8 (which has balance or unbalance written beside it) and I'm now wondering if I should have those connected into the the two connections above? I'm very much on a steep learning curve with this! But I understand that where I'm currently connected are the Aux Sends, with the other option being the Aux Returns.

May 4, 2020 1:21 PM in response to ThompsonPeople

Thanks again. Really appreciate you taking the trouble to help me with this. The diagram I think will be really helpful. What you've said confirms that I'd got the cable connected into the right jacks i.e. the lower ones 7/8.

I'll have an experiment based on your previous posts and this one and see how I get on and I'll post here how I've got on when I've had a chance to do that.

May 4, 2020 2:38 PM in response to ThompsonPeople

Hi again. Before you'd posted the above about Mute/Alt 3-4, through following your earlier suggestions and experimenting with the different buttons that you'd highlighted I've succeeded in recording my speech and recording music via iTunes. Both speech and music records successfully on GarageBand.

In terms of what I tried, if I have 2 -TR/USB and Main Mix pressed in it works and, additionally, I can have Alt 3-4 pressed in along with the previous two and also works if Main Mix Alt 3-4 is pressed in as well.

Thanks for solving this for me. Much appreciated.

Using a Behringer 1204USB mixer with GarageBand on an iMac to record radio shows as live

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.