You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought wrong gift card by mistake

I bought an App store and itunes gift card but meant to buy an apple store gift card. Can i exchange the app store and itunes gift card for an apple store gift card?? I have not used the card yet.

Posted on May 2, 2020 5:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 6, 2020 1:45 PM

Unfortunately, you won't be able to. I was mistakenly gifted $200 in app store cards instead of apple store which i had wanted to buy my new computer. Over the past 2 months, I have spent over 7 hours total over 3 phone calls along with numerous emails trying to get a resolution to this same problem. I was misinformed repeatedly and finally my "case" went to an escalation board (after talking to multiple 'senior advisors'). They turned it down and gave me 3 free movie rentals for my troubles but basically said too bad, so sad. Worst customer service experience ever. The ironic thing is, I too was going to use these to purchase apple products. So apple was going to get the money either way. But instead of having good customer service, they decide to scam their customers by having two different cards in the first place that aren't interchangeable. Horrible, horrible experience. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 6, 2020 1:45 PM in response to Racherd

Unfortunately, you won't be able to. I was mistakenly gifted $200 in app store cards instead of apple store which i had wanted to buy my new computer. Over the past 2 months, I have spent over 7 hours total over 3 phone calls along with numerous emails trying to get a resolution to this same problem. I was misinformed repeatedly and finally my "case" went to an escalation board (after talking to multiple 'senior advisors'). They turned it down and gave me 3 free movie rentals for my troubles but basically said too bad, so sad. Worst customer service experience ever. The ironic thing is, I too was going to use these to purchase apple products. So apple was going to get the money either way. But instead of having good customer service, they decide to scam their customers by having two different cards in the first place that aren't interchangeable. Horrible, horrible experience. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Jul 25, 2020 10:01 AM in response to Racherd

There is currently no way to do this however it has been known for the opposite to be done. You could contact Apple Support and hopefully you'll have some luck, but there is no official common way to change the gift card type.

This thread might also help you Use Apple Store Gift Card to Buy iTunes G… - Apple Community

Jun 18, 2020 6:34 AM in response to SaraAnderson455

This is exactly what happened to me. I wanted to purchase a $75 Apple Store gift card using a Visa gift card I had to make a purchase on the Apple store. Bought an Itunes one by accident. Already spent over 3 hours on the phone trying to get this resolved - I've been cold transferred, disconnected, etc, multiple times with no resolution. Was the WORST customer service experience I've ever been through. Just like Sara said, I was still going to use the $75 to purchase an Apple product - it's pathetic.

Bought wrong gift card by mistake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.