You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bezier curve issue when importing Affinity Designer file to Motion

Thanks to prior posts I'm already able to import a PSD file from Affinity Designer into Apple motion!

However, when I import a particular image that I drew, I found that all of the lines drawn in Affinity Designer (essentially bezier curves+points) are turned into shapes in motion and can no longer be manipulated as a line. This makes animation a tougher process as I'd have to redraw things in Motion to achieve certain effects.

Is there a potential fix for this?

Affinity Designer Screenshot (leg has multiple points)

Apple Motion Screenshot (option to edit points is not available)

Posted on Apr 29, 2020 11:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2020 5:21 AM

Hi

This is not available when working between Motion and Affinity Designer. There is a workflow between Motion and Adobe Illustrator that requires a script to export the vectors as dedicated motion shape files that you can then import to Motion by adding the files directly to the Motion shapes directory in the MacOS library. The best script is by Scott Ash ‘Motionise’ and you can get it here

https://shoptly.com/scottash

This work flow is only possible because scripts are possible on the AI side. As far as I know, Serif have no plans to bring this to Affinity Designer. This exact topic has a thread at the Affinity forums, and many Motion users have been posting there about making vector exports for use in Motion. Sadly this is the state of things, so we live in hope until either Serif or Apple delivers something.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 30, 2020 5:21 AM in response to ddsp4u

Hi

This is not available when working between Motion and Affinity Designer. There is a workflow between Motion and Adobe Illustrator that requires a script to export the vectors as dedicated motion shape files that you can then import to Motion by adding the files directly to the Motion shapes directory in the MacOS library. The best script is by Scott Ash ‘Motionise’ and you can get it here

This work flow is only possible because scripts are possible on the AI side. As far as I know, Serif have no plans to bring this to Affinity Designer. This exact topic has a thread at the Affinity forums, and many Motion users have been posting there about making vector exports for use in Motion. Sadly this is the state of things, so we live in hope until either Serif or Apple delivers something.

Apr 30, 2020 5:26 AM in response to ddsp4u

Hi

This work flow is only possible because scripts are possible on the AI side. As far as I know, Serif has no plans to bring this to Affinity Designer. This exact topic has a thread at the Affinity forums, and many Motion users have been posting there about making vector exports for use in Motion. Sadly this is the state of things, so we live in hope until either Serif or Apple delivers something.

Motion has basic vector tools, but if you are good with the pen tool and confident with illustration, you can do it all in Motion. Anyway, I sympathize with your dilemma here, we are all living in hope for this feature.

Bezier curve issue when importing Affinity Designer file to Motion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.