You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clamshell mode makes battery swell

I usually use the UltraFine 22" & 27" monitor as my primary display for the MacBook Pro 15" (2016) at home and work.

Yesterday, I found my MacBook's battery had been swollen, cause I noticed the palm rest was dangle in a flat table.

The Apple service center said it's just passed 1 month for warranty service (3 years) because the limited date was about early March. (writing today: 29/Apr. 2020)

And my service engineer said the clamshell mode would make overcharging the battery. But the clamshell mode is Apple's official function to use the external monitor, so I can't understand why there is no appropriate option (software in OS level) for protecting the MacBook from overcharging.

Is this right charging me for this fix? Is it my fault?

Thanks

MacBook

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 8:36 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 28, 2020 9:46 PM in response to Kappy

That's right, but I'd say it doesn't seem to be a fundamental solution to me.

And, I know most modern electric devices have the circuit for prevent overcharging built-in.

Did you check the function about optimized battery charging on iPhone with iOS13?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210512

The reason this feature was developed is that a fully charged state is not that very good (ideal) for many devices with built-in batteries.

Clamshell mode makes battery swell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.