You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime will not open

I have never knowingly used Quicktime before, but wanted to test recording a video. However, Quicktime simply will not open.

It gives no feedback at all.

I am running Mojave 10.14.6

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 28, 2020 4:47 AM

4 replies

Apr 29, 2020 11:16 AM in response to Mars_Express

Hello Mars_Express,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand from the information you provided that Quicktime is closing without any explanation; I'd like to help.

The following support article provides some troubleshooting steps to try for this behavior:

If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac - Apple Support

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Apr 29, 2020 5:00 PM in response to Mars_Express

Mars_Express,

Thanks for the added explanation. Try to open QuickTime in safe mode:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Then restart back to your main account and see if it will open. If you still have issues, create a test user account and try to open it there:

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Let us know the results.

Have a great day.

Apr 29, 2020 2:09 PM in response to raina_b22

Sorry, but you have misread my query. Quicktime does NOT freeze and NOR does it 'close without any explanation' OR 'quit unexpectedly'.

It does not open.

I expect an app to open when it is clicked. My Quicktime does not. Ever.

As I say, I do not remember ever using it before, so I do not know what to expect when I click on it, but it does nothing.

This is puzzling me....

May 3, 2020 8:14 AM in response to c_luc9

Thank you, c_luc9, for your reply. I finally set aside some time to try and seriously tackle my QuickTime problem, which meant I first finished what I was doing and closed all apps from my screen...

I tested if QuickTime would open, and - apparently - it did not (as I mentioned, I have never used it before, so I did not know what to expect when I clicked on it). I clicked on QuickTime and nothing appears to open...

My first thoughts - before trying Safe Mode - was to see if the Console produced any interesting messages when QuickTime was clicked. No sooner had I thought that, when I noticed - for the first time - that QuickTime had, in fact, appeared in the (app) menu bar!

So QuickTime had 'started', but it had not yet 'opened' any window - as I was expecting. It 'opens' a window only from the app menu bar!

So, it was my mistake, but the How to use QuickTime Player support page gave no indication of this.

Thanks for helping. There was no problem. It was my lack of experience in using QuickTime:-)

Happy lockdown:-}

Quicktime will not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.