You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to send text from iphone but not display my phone number

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 8:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 8:23 AM

How can I text without showing my name

7 replies

Apr 24, 2020 9:15 AM in response to magpie158

I use Google Voice. It’s free, and you can send and receive texts from the number you get to choose when you set it up. go to https://voice.google.com to set it up if you want to try it. You can optionally forward texts and calls to other numbers automatically. My GV number is my “public” number, so my iPhone and landline numbers don’t get published anywhere. And you can change the number or add additional numbers as you need to.

Apr 24, 2020 8:24 AM in response to magpie158

You have discovered one of the setbacks with trying to text students. That is one of the reasons I don't do it either, and I'm in higher education(college). Using your email address with texting is then sharing your Apple ID. You don't want to do that either. Some schools use texting services so you can send texts via the computer. Those are charged to the institution on a per text basis. That is why I use school generated email for communications. I believe you can use Google Voice as an option, which generates a phone number that is not really your personal number. You would have to wait for someone that uses that to provide more information about it. I don't use it.

Apr 24, 2020 11:52 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for that Lawrence. I was aware of it, but have never done that much with it. Maybe I'll look into this myself now, with all of this need for alternative measures to contact students. And to top it off, our Exchange server at the college has gone down, so we have no mail access for us or the students. It appears even the web server is down as well, making things even more difficult.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.