You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I’ve reset my Mac mini 2012 and now the drives aren’t recognised.

I reset the Mac mini as per instructions on this forum and all was well until I got to the reinstallation part. Now it doesn’t recognise any of the 2 drives that were both working before the reset.

1. SSD
  2. Apple HDD drive

There is no disk to select to reinstall the os. When I’m in disk utility one drive is there (Apple HDD) but it’s called “internal drive” and after running verify disk and repair disk no errors were shown.

There are 2 options available against that drive

1. First aid
  2. Partition

Every option in partition is greyed out and can’t be selected. Only other drive showing is disk 2 - Mac OS X base system.

any ideas on mounting the drives again so I can reinstall the os mountain lion back onto the ssd as it was before?

Is there any advice on what to do as apart from getting those 4 options, I can’t do anything else with it.

I’m confident that the drives are both ok as it’s way too much of a coincidence that both drives stop working after the reset.

Thanks

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 6:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 11:36 AM

The directory could be so badly munged it won't let you do anything but an internet restore.

command-option-shift-r. From that used Disk Utility to erase the drive before attempting an install.

Similar questions

2 replies

I’ve reset my Mac mini 2012 and now the drives aren’t recognised.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.