You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringer volume changes on its own iPhone XS

The ringer on my iPhone XS started changing the ringer and alert tones on its own in the last few months. Usually it turns it down. I have change ringer volume with buttons turned off. I must check the volume regularly. Like this morning the alarm barely woke me up because the volume had changed again. It’s pretty annoying ! Thanks for any ideas.

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 8:41 AM

2 replies

Apr 15, 2020 7:15 AM in response to Homerj222

Hi Homerj222,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you're having an issue with the alarm and ringer volume on your iPhone, and I'd like to do what I can to help.

Have you restarted your iPhone since noticing this issue? If not, go ahead and do that, as a restart can resolve unusual issues.

Restart your iPhone 

With Face ID, when looking at your iPhone, the ringer and alarm volume will drop. However, if your iPhone is just sitting on a table, without you looking at it, the volume should stay as loud as you have it set.

Give the troubleshooting steps in this article a try: If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker

This article also has some information about alarms: How to set and manage alarms on your iPhone

Try changing the alarm sound choice and see if that makes a difference.

Take care!

Apr 15, 2020 8:09 AM in response to MoonJ.

Yes I’ve restarted iphone numerous times. This has nothing to do with face attention because after I notice volume change I go to settings and the ringer volume has been changed.

this started a few months ago. I have NO DOUBT that this is a software issue that will resolve itself in a future update. I’m not going to reset or restore iphone. These steps never resolve issues. They always resolve with future updates. I wanted to see if others may have the same issue.

Ringer volume changes on its own iPhone XS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.