You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil won’t pair

How do I pair my Apple Pencil ?

Posted on Apr 8, 2020 8:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2020 3:47 PM

The first generation Apple Pencil can only be paired with the target iPad - and charged - via a Lightning connector. The 2018 and 2020 iPad Pro models do not have the necessary Lightning Port.

Recent models of iPad Pro are only compatible with the second generation Apple Pencil - that utilise an inductive interface for both pairing the Pencil to the host iPad and for charging.

So, in summary, if your iPad has a Lightning port and is compatible with Apple Pencil, you will require the original “first generation” Apple Pencil. If you have an iPad Pro with a USB-C port, you will use the more recent “second generation” Apple Pencil.

I hope this is sufficiently clear to remove any confusion.

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 9, 2020 3:47 PM in response to Baji

The first generation Apple Pencil can only be paired with the target iPad - and charged - via a Lightning connector. The 2018 and 2020 iPad Pro models do not have the necessary Lightning Port.

Recent models of iPad Pro are only compatible with the second generation Apple Pencil - that utilise an inductive interface for both pairing the Pencil to the host iPad and for charging.

So, in summary, if your iPad has a Lightning port and is compatible with Apple Pencil, you will require the original “first generation” Apple Pencil. If you have an iPad Pro with a USB-C port, you will use the more recent “second generation” Apple Pencil.

I hope this is sufficiently clear to remove any confusion.

Apr 9, 2020 3:54 PM in response to Baji

If the Pencil is listed in the list of Bluetooth devices, delete it, then force-restart your iPad before again attempting to pair the Apple Pencil with the iPad:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Apr 9, 2020 5:46 AM in response to MichelPM

MichelPM wrote:

Are you trying to be difficult?
I need the year and/or model number of your iPad Pro to determine which iPad Pro you actually have.
I'll make this even easier for you.
Does your iPad Pro have a round Home button/Touch ID button off to the side on the front of the iPad Pro, or not?

MichelPM,

I'm going to step out on a limb and assume that English is not the native language here.

Apr 9, 2020 3:37 PM in response to Community User

I was responding to someone named Baji who wrote these incomprehensible letters “/Po0olok..........;” and responded that I did not understand!

I am only just finding your attempts to assist me in troubleshooting this issue. I found my iPad Pro model number as well as the pencil number, but I have had to work, so have been unable to respond to anyone before now.

iPad Pro A1674, Apple Pencil Model A1603

Coincidentally, I had an iPad software update last night which boasted improved coordination with the Apple Pencil but have not had the time until now to retry pairing. I will now do so in hopes that this is successful. I would like your assistance if it does not work. Thank you for your time.

Apple Pencil won’t pair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.