You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac desktop has a 1TB hard drive with only about 75GB used, and it will never use much more than that. Can I use on old Toshiba 500GB external HDD for TimeMachine backups

My Mac will never use much more than 75GB of its 1TB hard drive. Can I use an old Toshiba 500GB external HDD as TimeMachine's destination for backups?

Thanks in advance.

iMac Pro

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 11:20 AM

9 replies

Mar 25, 2020 12:21 PM in response to ClintonCornersAppleCommunity

I would reconsider that 500GB drive to one with larger capacity.

I am running macOS Mojave on a Late-2013 iMac with an internal 250 GB SSD. I have used 114 GB of that drive, and this is a relatively stable figure. The external Time Machine drive is a 1 TB Crucial SSD, and to date, I have used 300 GB of that drive, which was a new drive, when I upgraded to Mojave about 18 months ago.

My Mac desktop has a 1TB hard drive with only about 75GB used, and it will never use much more than that. Can I use on old Toshiba 500GB external HDD for TimeMachine backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.