You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod classic no longer supported

Why apple stopped supporting iPod classic and forcing people to buy new iPods while the one they have is still functional?

Posted on Mar 25, 2020 9:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2020 9:51 AM

I have a 2009 iPod Classic with my music downloaded from my mac mini. I tried syncing it by connecting it to my mac mini and it does not appear on the computer screen and nothing happens. Is it no longer available to synch?

15 replies

Apr 15, 2020 7:11 PM in response to ThanassisN

Mine, while recognized, is stuck on Loading..... I reset it, but alas, to no avail. I did a check, the HDD is good, then tried it on my laptop. Low and behold, that machine can read it. My Mac mini, running the exact same Catalina, won't. The library is on the Mac mini, I don't have any music, movies, TV shows... nothing on the MacBook. Why would 1 computer see it, while the other not. Even after formatting it?

Mar 26, 2020 8:28 AM in response to ThanassisN

Music in Catalina is significantly different from iTunes. Direct playback of media on a manually managed device isn't supported. Management of content is meant to take place predominantly in Finder rather than Music, although Music is still used as a source to drop content onto a manually managed device. Deleting items from a manually managed device is via Finder > Device > Manage Storage. Syncing with selected content is a better approach in Catalina, assuming all content is in your iTunes library. (If not see Recover media from an iPod - Apple Community.). Personally I also found that Catalina wouldn't work with my classic (originally formatted for Windows/FAT32) until I'd restored it.

tt2

Mar 25, 2020 4:14 PM in response to ThanassisN

I'm having similar issues with my iPod Classic. When I plug it in to manually add content to it iTunes says that it cannot sync the device and gives an error message (-3201). The macOS says it can't repair the disk "iPod 160GB". I just reformatted it about a week ago and it works fine, except I can't add content to it. I have gotten the same error when I plugged it into my iMac, and even an old MacBook Pro and a black MacBook. The iPod does show up in the USB device tree.

Something has recently changed that is preventing me from working with my device.

Mark

MacBook Pro 2019 running macOS 10.14.6, and iTunes 12.9.5

Mar 25, 2020 10:02 AM in response to ThanassisN

The same question could be applied to “Why does Apple no longer support the Apple II from 1977?” As new technology is invented, older technology is obsoleted. iPod classic was known for having a high capacity internal disk which allowed customers to synchronize their Music library. Today Apple’s iPod touch (7th generation) has the largest internal drive of any iPod model. You can continue to use your iPod classic with iTunes Store purchases or ripped music from CDs.

Mar 26, 2020 2:11 PM in response to ThanassisN

Ok, I reformatted the iPod and I was able to reload it with my audio books. Very time consuming process...lol It seems to be working now, I have been able to work with the content and it plays satisfactorily. Only odd thing is that the iPod no longer shows up with it's own icon on the desktop, it's a generic external white/gray drive icon like that of a USB flash drive.

I have not upgraded to Catalina because several of the programs I use in my classroom on almost a daily basis are not 64 bit and won't run in Catalina. So for the time being I still continue to use iTunes.

Many thanks for the responses to my question. Be well folks.

Apr 11, 2020 11:34 AM in response to ThanassisN

This is how I fix this problem:

Step 1- Uninstalling your current Itunes version

Step 2- Install itunes_1262_64bit (I am using Window 10)

Step 3-After installation, you cannot open this old version immediately because of the error ‘The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read’. So, follow instructions from this link https://www.technipages.com/itunes-the-file-itunes-library-itl-cannot-be-read-fix

Step 4: After open the old Itunes, it suggests that you should reset your ipod, just follow steps to reset it

Step 5: Sync music as usual

Sorry for my bad English >"<

Apr 13, 2020 6:59 AM in response to turingtest2

I have an IPD Classic and as of Feb 29 was able to down load Pod casts to the classic. I just went back into PODCASTS and downloaded additional podcasts to my MAC PB (I'm using Catalina vastest OS). and though I can see my device listed and all the previous podcasts I downloaded, all the new downloads are not popping into so I can don load. I have sync the device did all the stuff apple said to do but no joy. Get any suggestions? Did Apple in March just stop supporting IPOD Classics?

Mac

iPod classic no longer supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.