You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to update to Catalina?

Hello!

I updated to the Catalina OS when it was released. But it caused all sorts of problems. Photoshop not working my Focusrite Mix Control not working, and other software that was not compatible with the new OS, so I downgraded to Mojave, so that I could continue to use my Macbook Pro.

Has things been fixed or do I chose wisely to still wait with an upgrade?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 21, 2020 8:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2020 9:07 AM

That isn't anything that Apple is going to fix. Catalina does not support 32-bit apps. If you have 32-bit apps and want to run Catalina (or any future macOS) the option is to contact the developer of the applications and see if they offer a free or paid upgrade to a version that is compatible wit Catalina. Also see the following from 32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

Apple's transition to 64-bit technology is now complete. Starting with macOS Catalina, 32-bit apps are no longer compatible with macOS. If you have a 32-bit app, please check with the app developer for a 64-bit version.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 21, 2020 9:07 AM in response to Xathan

That isn't anything that Apple is going to fix. Catalina does not support 32-bit apps. If you have 32-bit apps and want to run Catalina (or any future macOS) the option is to contact the developer of the applications and see if they offer a free or paid upgrade to a version that is compatible wit Catalina. Also see the following from 32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

Apple's transition to 64-bit technology is now complete. Starting with macOS Catalina, 32-bit apps are no longer compatible with macOS. If you have a 32-bit app, please check with the app developer for a 64-bit version.

Mar 21, 2020 8:06 PM in response to Xathan

Xathan wrote:

Hello!

I updated to the Catalina OS when it was released. But it caused all sorts of problems. Photoshop not working my Focusrite Mix Control not working, and other software that was not compatible with the new OS, so I downgraded to Mojave, so that I could continue to use my Macbook Pro.

Has things been fixed or do I chose wisely to still wait with an upgrade?

You'd have to ask their respective developers (Adobe and Focusrite) because Catalina is about as refined as it will ever get. Traditionally Apple has already been working on whatever OS will supersede it by now.

32-bit apps are gone for good and they're not coming back, ever.

Perhaps you will find this useful: Upgrading macOS without fear - Apple Community. That's what I do.

Mar 21, 2020 1:19 PM in response to Xathan

If you have 32-bit applications that you need and where no update is available, you could create a bootable clone of your mac on an external volume. Then you can boot your Mac from Mojave, if you need to use the older apps, and get started with Catalina, while you are looking for replacement applications for the older software.

Is it safe to update to Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.