You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Keyboard language

Hi everyone !

I got an iPad with a Smart Keyboard, and use it everyday for school. I need to switch between languages often (mostly between English and French). The problem is: I have an AZERTY keyboard where English US uses QWERTY, and whenever I use the little globe key to change the language to English, the keyboard switch to QWERTY and some keys are not corresponding to my keyboard setup anymore which makes it extremely difficult to type in English. Is there an option in which I could use the keyboard in English AZERTY ?

(since I use the French AZERTY keyboard to not spend too much time figuring out where all the keys might be, the autocorrect is in French as well and keeps changing words while I take notes during classes, which is super annoying !)

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Mar 4, 2020 7:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2020 8:07 AM

To set the layout for your keyboard, make sure it is connected and then go to the settings for Hardware Keyboard (settings > general > keyboard, I think, or maybe one more layout down). Tap over at the right edge for English and you should get a list of choices. Do not choose "automatic" or US or British, but instead select French.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 4, 2020 8:07 AM in response to morgane1307

To set the layout for your keyboard, make sure it is connected and then go to the settings for Hardware Keyboard (settings > general > keyboard, I think, or maybe one more layout down). Tap over at the right edge for English and you should get a list of choices. Do not choose "automatic" or US or British, but instead select French.

Smart Keyboard language

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.