You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine not working.

Hello,

After a lot of problems with my 06 intel iMac it’s running not bad now but I had to erase the hard drive during the fix. It runs fine, everything works (that can with it being 14) it crashes every so often and console log is a nutter.

That is the Room from The Shining. You don’t look I’m there.

Everything is error, fail, crash, unable but if you didn’t look in there you’d think it was okay.

So after everything was back where it should have been I tried to back up on a freshly erased LaCie 2TB (Drive two) Mac OS case sensitive journaled. I usually use just Journaled but it wouldn’t work.

As this is it first backup it’s the full whack. At 635gb on a 1tb internal drive (I’ve bought a new one for it to see if that helps It at all)

I press back up and it prepares for 15 minutes which is fine but gets no further than 65gb. It started to fail the back ups at 50MB so I’m making progress.

I have two of these LaCie 2TB Porsche drives. They must be 10 years old but they’ve had an easy life. I backed up once something important had changed. Once a month maybe.

Lion 10.7.5 is what I was and am now again using but the drive that I was using for previous but same system (Drive One) did the same. Prepared, erased old backups to make room even though there was 785gb, now 1.2tb! I shouldn’t have even tried. I knew it would be treated as a first install deleted old backups. Dick!

So two drives and only one can be formatted as I need stuff on the first. I tried MS Dos too but same result. Disk utility says both drives are okay.

I do now have a....... new computer!! It’s a pretty cool looking 2011 iMac. It’s even got an internal serial number!!

Ive ordered RAM and a new HDD for it so hopefully when it’s up and running it will be okay. £57 on eBay. Not a mark on it. Came in original box. Bit of hassle, bit of time, new drive, new RAM. £180-£200?

Everything has a silver lining.

If my dad hadn’t had a fall (in the hospital where he was being treated for a chest infection) got brain bleed then after 7 days of me shouting at staff to do another scan, had 3 surgeries in his head and then sometime during the third, a stroke which they forgot to mention till 5 days after and has made him forget me but not my sisters. I saw him everyday, my sisters hardly ever. If all that hadn’t happened I probably wouldn’t have been constantly staring at my phone and would have missed this bargain.

So, Ive now got two 2TB drives, both of which won’t back up and only one of which I can fanny about with. Do I just wait and upgrade 2011 with parts (HDD and RAM) coming today, see if it goes okay and will backup on Drive Two, it’s High Sierra. Fancy!

Time machine problem! Knew there was a reason I was here. Device is for now 2006 intel iMac 20” screen. £20 today, £1200 back then. Wow! 14 years G5. Still looks cool. I liked white. Glass and metal suck.

Thanks.

J.

[Edited by Moderator]

iMac 21.5", 10.13

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 11:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2020 6:28 AM

James, Case Sensitive is always going to introduce problems somewhere, is it GUID or APM Partition scheme?

Try this for backups& it's bootable!

Download CCC 3.5.7 for use on Snow Leopard (10.6) and Lion (10.7)...

https://bombich.com/software/download_ccc_update.php?v=3.5.7

PS. I think your 2011 iMac will grow on you.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 20, 2020 6:28 AM in response to James Phoenix

James, Case Sensitive is always going to introduce problems somewhere, is it GUID or APM Partition scheme?

Try this for backups& it's bootable!

Download CCC 3.5.7 for use on Snow Leopard (10.6) and Lion (10.7)...

https://bombich.com/software/download_ccc_update.php?v=3.5.7

PS. I think your 2011 iMac will grow on you.

Time Machine not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.