You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The App Store application dowloaded over the Microsoft Word I already had

When I bought my MacBook, the tech guy installed all the Microsoft apps for me (word, OneNote...). Everything was going fine until my friend accidentally download microsoft word from the App Store. The application dowloaded over the one I already had (the one the tech guy installed), if that even makes any sense. Since I didn't buy office 365, I can't access word. Now can someone please tell me how I can go back from that, I need word to work.

Please help

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 9, 2020 4:07 PM

13 replies

Feb 9, 2020 5:02 PM in response to Tayanaa

Tayanaa wrote:

That's the thing , I do not have office 365. The Microsoft apps came preinstalled on my laptop

In your original post you said Office was downloaded from the app store and installed over your original Office installation. If Office 365 was not installed then just use Office as you always have.

If there is more to the story than you've provided, such as you upgraded your OS to Catalina and now your old Office version 2011 no longer works then: Office 2016 (upgraded), Office 2019, and Office 365 will work with Catalina. You can buy Office from Microsoft.

Feb 10, 2020 10:09 AM in response to Tayanaa

If you have Time Machine enable and running you can restore your MacBook to the version it was before you took it into the tech guy (in the future I'd learn to do that stuff yourself or get a new tech guy).

You should be able to go to the MS Office site and with your activation code download and reinstall the version of MS Office you had.

Alternatives to Word are LibreOffice and Pages. Both can open, read, edit and save Word documents as Word documents or their own format. Both are free.

Feb 10, 2020 10:26 AM in response to Tayanaa

Since there are a few possibilities, it's a bit difficult to figure out what you did. Office 365, 2019 and 2016 all put the individual Office apps in the Applications folder. Worse, they all have the same names, so it's easy to overwrite one version with another.

Since you say you've never purchased Office 365, that can only mean you overwrote Word from Office 2016 or 2019. Assuming this is correct, download the appropriate software from Microsoft's site and reinstall the latest version.

Office 2016

Office 2019

Feb 10, 2020 12:15 PM in response to Tayanaa

Tayanaa wrote:

That's the thing , I do not have office 365. The Microsoft apps came preinstalled on my laptop

If those apps were "preinstalled" and were working then you are using a pirated license, unless your are using your employer's license. Who, exactly, installed those Office apps for you? You simply cannot use any of those apps fully without paying for a license or subscription from Microsoft.

The App Store application dowloaded over the Microsoft Word I already had

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.