You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fusion drive external enclosure

Hello community

I'm about to replace the fusion drive in my late-2017 iMac with a SSD. Would like to do a clean install. Can I put the fusion drive into an external enclosure and copy the files I need once the new SSD is set up?

would it work?

thanks

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 11:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2020 12:10 PM

There is no Fusion drive as an individual disk. It is a regular HDD used in conjunction with an SSD located on the computer's motherboard. So, the simple answer is you can put the HDD into any external enclosure that will connect to your computer. You can find suitable enclosures at OWC or Best Buy.

The SSD would be installed where the HDD was installed. You will need a special connector for the temp sensor or the fans will run full speed forever. You can find quality SSDs plus the connector cable you will need at OWC. They also have tools you may need to disassemble your iMac as well as instructions for disassembly, installation of the SSD, and reassembly.

You probably don't care but you should know that once you open the computer Apple will no longer provide any service. Hope you don't have a problem requiring parts only available from Apple.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 8, 2020 12:10 PM in response to diggy123

There is no Fusion drive as an individual disk. It is a regular HDD used in conjunction with an SSD located on the computer's motherboard. So, the simple answer is you can put the HDD into any external enclosure that will connect to your computer. You can find suitable enclosures at OWC or Best Buy.

The SSD would be installed where the HDD was installed. You will need a special connector for the temp sensor or the fans will run full speed forever. You can find quality SSDs plus the connector cable you will need at OWC. They also have tools you may need to disassemble your iMac as well as instructions for disassembly, installation of the SSD, and reassembly.

You probably don't care but you should know that once you open the computer Apple will no longer provide any service. Hope you don't have a problem requiring parts only available from Apple.

Fusion drive external enclosure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.