You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder takes 3 minutes to open a folder with 600k files

My system is a MacBook Air running macOS Catalina on a 2.2Ghz Dual-core i7 with 8GB of 1600 Mhz DDR3 Ram with a 500GB Apple SSD using APFS.

I created a folder with 600k files. I then opened that folder in Finder.

I got a loading screen for 3 minutes.

It then came up:

I also wanted to try this in a folder with 6M files but didn't as I expected it to behave a lot worse.

Is out of the box support for this type of use case expected to happen?

I can make the system I'm working on more complex by doing things like sharding at the folder level but it would be cool if I didn't have to worry about those implementation details and could pass to my users a simple mental model :).

MacBook Air 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 7:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2020 11:05 AM

8GB isn't much these days.

First opening will cause icons to be made & such, how long does it take to open a second time or after a restart?

Can I ask why 600K files, especially with only 500 GB & 8 GB of RAM?

& where exactly path wise did you create them? Hopefully not the Desktop folder.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2020 11:05 AM in response to kcerb

8GB isn't much these days.

First opening will cause icons to be made & such, how long does it take to open a second time or after a restart?

Can I ask why 600K files, especially with only 500 GB & 8 GB of RAM?

& where exactly path wise did you create them? Hopefully not the Desktop folder.

Jan 30, 2020 6:31 PM in response to BDAqua

> 8GB isn't much these days.

The files are very small. The contents of the files adds up to about 1GB.

> how long does it take to open a second time or after a restart?

I did not try it a second time, but good suggestion. Okay, it takes just 7 seconds or so the second time. So something is doing some good cacheing...The responsiveness isn't so bad. (If this works I'd like to repeat with 6M files and then 200M).

> Can I ask why 600K files, especially with only 500 GB & 8 GB of RAM?

It's for a new simple database idea I have. Context is here if you are interested.

> & where exactly path wise did you create them? Hopefully not the Desktop folder.

Not in the desktop folder, haha. Just nested in a folder on my home dir. "/Users/breck/imdb/600k/".

Finder takes 3 minutes to open a folder with 600k files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.