You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to use a mid-2011 iMac as an external monitor

I would like to use a mid-2011 iMac as an external monitor for a 2019 iMac. The 2011 has a mini display port (with lightening bolt). The 2019 has a Thunderbolt (looks like a USB-C). I ordered a cable with one end a USB-C and the other a mini-display port but this evidently doesn't work. But I cannot seem to find a true cable that is Thunderbolt -> Mini Display Port.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 6:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 7:20 PM

In theory it should work per Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode however you will note Apple no longer supports that so then it again it may not. What I tell folks is that Macs are computers and not external displays for other computers. If you really need an external display for your 2019 then buy one.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 20, 2020 7:20 PM in response to usndoc

In theory it should work per Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode however you will note Apple no longer supports that so then it again it may not. What I tell folks is that Macs are computers and not external displays for other computers. If you really need an external display for your 2019 then buy one.

I would like to use a mid-2011 iMac as an external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.