You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If a MacBook 2017 pro battery expands and pops open the case should it not be repaired for free?

I went to close the screen on my "MacBook pro 2017" and it wouldn't shut properly. I picked it up and found the bottom was expanded by 5mm, on the left side. The computer has never left my office and is normally powered by 240v, not the battery. it still works but it seems like it might expand to death.

I went to apple service and it comes up as not being covered.

How can they not cover a faulty battery?

If it explodes and someone gets burnt i wonder if they would say the same!

Has any one else had this issue with the same model, and if so did you have better luck with Apple than me?

It just works?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 1:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 7:17 PM

Apple does not consider a swollen battery a safety issue. It is just a defective battery. I personally consider the swollen batteries a bit dangerous as it can release toxic chemicals if it begins leaking. So far I've never seen a swollen battery leak and I've seen a lot of swollen batteries. Some have been so swollen that I've been afraid to touch them for fear it would pop.

Apple does have several free repair programs for various battery issues including some secret free repair programs. The free battery replacement programs only cover the laptop for up to three years since the date of purchase. If your laptop is less than three years old, then the repair should be covered (you may need to provide proof of purchase to confirm the date if Apple does not have it on file). If the laptop is more than three years old, then you will need to pay to have the battery replaced.

Of course Apple has the final say on any coverage options. Your only recourse is to provide feedback or to consult your local consumer laws.

IIRC if the laptop is sent to an Apple repair depot by the Apple Store or AASP, then a regular battery replacement cost is $129. I'm not sure if there could be any extra costs for the Bottom Case being bent.

FYI, here is a current list of the publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple products (some such as your laptop may have multiple repair programs available).

https://support.apple.com/exchange_repair

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 13, 2020 7:17 PM in response to Dave Perth

Apple does not consider a swollen battery a safety issue. It is just a defective battery. I personally consider the swollen batteries a bit dangerous as it can release toxic chemicals if it begins leaking. So far I've never seen a swollen battery leak and I've seen a lot of swollen batteries. Some have been so swollen that I've been afraid to touch them for fear it would pop.

Apple does have several free repair programs for various battery issues including some secret free repair programs. The free battery replacement programs only cover the laptop for up to three years since the date of purchase. If your laptop is less than three years old, then the repair should be covered (you may need to provide proof of purchase to confirm the date if Apple does not have it on file). If the laptop is more than three years old, then you will need to pay to have the battery replaced.

Of course Apple has the final say on any coverage options. Your only recourse is to provide feedback or to consult your local consumer laws.

IIRC if the laptop is sent to an Apple repair depot by the Apple Store or AASP, then a regular battery replacement cost is $129. I'm not sure if there could be any extra costs for the Bottom Case being bent.

FYI, here is a current list of the publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple products (some such as your laptop may have multiple repair programs available).

https://support.apple.com/exchange_repair

If a MacBook 2017 pro battery expands and pops open the case should it not be repaired for free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.