You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro(12.9inch) battery drains quickly and is slow to charge

My iPad Pro battery is draining much quicker these days and is taking much longer to charge.. many mornings I wake up and it is still not to 100% from charging over night.

Software is up to date (presently 13.3) and I'm not even close to using all available GB (presently at 80GB available out of 128GB)

This iPad is used daily through out the day (I am retired) and I have taken to plugging it in to charge in whatever room I am in to keep it from losing too much battery life. I generally only surf the web or read a book.

Any tips?

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 4:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 5:16 AM

If it’s 6 years old then it’s very possible that the battery in your device is reaching the end of its life.

Your main option will be to make an appointment and take it in. Battery replacements are around $100

iPad Repair - Official Apple Support

4 replies

Jan 9, 2020 5:11 AM in response to Skydiver119

I've probably had this iPad about 6 years - so out of warranty. Never had any issues until this.

I have changed charger and cables and don't see any significant difference. I've tried what I see as the simple fixes - along with a dimmer screen and not allowing background refresh on most apps.

Wondering if there are other options for me to try on my end. And if not, what's next?

Jan 9, 2020 6:43 AM in response to sues4770

Firstly, both observed and reported behaviour of iPadOS 13.x battery utilisation indicates that battery consumption appears higher than iOS12.x; this translates to shorter run-times for an indicated “full charge”.

Battery utilisation of 15-18% per hour is now not uncommon in some multi-tasking scenarios, with 12-15% consumption per hour being typical. This obviously translates to reduced run-time.

Batteries also lose capacity over their lifespan. For iPad, Apple quote 80% retained capacity after 1000 “full” charge cycles.

You indicate that you habitually leave your iPad connected to power for long periods. Whilst not publicly documented by Apple, considerable evidence exists (and multiple reports seen here) that iPad now utilises a battery management strategy intended to reduce “stress” to (and premature ageing of) the internal battery when connected to external power for extended periods - such as when the iPad is used in Desktop, Kiosk and Point of Sale applications. When triggered, this battery preservation strategy limits maximum charge to a lower value, typically 90-95% of maximum. When a more normal charge/discharge regime is resumed, charging to maximum battery capacity is restored.

I hope this proves to be helpful in determining potential causal factors for the behaviour you see.

iPad Pro(12.9inch) battery drains quickly and is slow to charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.