You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina and Mojave in 2 volumes on an internal SSD

I´m still running Mojave 10.14.6 on a 2018 iMac, and don´t want to abandon Mojave just yet until I´ve played around and tinkered with Catalina. My idea is as follows:

Create a new volume (not a partition) on my internal 500 GB SSD.

Install Catalina on it.

Then move, not copy, all my data (docs, Photos Libraries etc.) to the new Catalina volume.

On the Mojave volume I would leave nothing but the System and Photoshop CS6. I depend on Photoshop for my daily work, and I know it doesn´t work in Catalina. Thus my idea of splitting my internal SSD into 2 volumes. I know I could also keep a Mojave clone on an external SSD and boot from that when I need to use Photoshop.

Needless to say I shall be making clones and TM backups of my Mojave setup before I start on this!

Is creating a new volume a good idea? Or would booting from a Mojave clone be better? Any help/suggestions gratefully received! Regards, Ian.

iMac 27" 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 9:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2019 3:04 PM

Hi Ian,

As you said, always make a backup/clone before doing this in case anything happens.

What I did on my Mac was create a a second partition and installed Catalina on that. I currently have a dual boot system one with Mojave as my main system and the second partition with Catalina as I still rely on 32 bit applications that will never be made into 64 bit as the company has stopped development or went out of business.

What I did was go into Disk Utility and created a second partition for Catalina. Then I downloaded Catalina from the Mac App Store and selected the second partition for installation.

I hope this helps.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 30, 2019 3:04 PM in response to Ian Leckie

Hi Ian,

As you said, always make a backup/clone before doing this in case anything happens.

What I did on my Mac was create a a second partition and installed Catalina on that. I currently have a dual boot system one with Mojave as my main system and the second partition with Catalina as I still rely on 32 bit applications that will never be made into 64 bit as the company has stopped development or went out of business.

What I did was go into Disk Utility and created a second partition for Catalina. Then I downloaded Catalina from the Mac App Store and selected the second partition for installation.

I hope this helps.

Dec 31, 2019 6:24 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for replying, HWTech! Yes, I have a gut feeling that installing multiple operating systems on a single drive could lead to problems, which I really don't need at the moment! I have several new external Samsung SSDs, so I´ll be doing what you suggest...seems to me to be the "non-destructive" solution. Best wishes for 2020! Regards, Ian.

Catalina and Mojave in 2 volumes on an internal SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.