You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trash not freeing up space

I've read a bunch of threads about this, both on this site and others, and I haven't found any solution, so here it is.

My MacBook Pro has been running out of space a lot recently. So I've been trying to get rid of old stuff I don't need and more stuff to iCloud to make space. I just copied my iMovie Library file (iMovie Library.imovielibrary) onto an external disk and then deleted it. It was almost 80 gigs and I only had about 5 gigs free at the time. After deleting it I still only had 5 gigs free. Nothing changed. If I right click Macintosh HD and choose "Manage Storage" the space used by Documents (where it was located) has gone down 80 gigs, but if I right click Macintosh HD and click "get info" or go to About This Mac and choose storage the available storage has not changed. How do I get the storage back? I can't..delete it again to try and fix it because it's gone.

Thanks,

Seth

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 12:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2019 1:36 AM

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT206996

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 11, 2019 2:06 AM in response to seth_p

It may not appear to be free but is still available.

Time Machine will fill available space with snapshots.

Nuclear option:-

First make a Time Machine backup for safety.

Get another external drive the size of your internal drive

Buy Carbon Copy Cloner and create a bootable clone.

Boot from the clone and clone back to the internal drive.

All sorts of junk will disappear.

Trash not freeing up space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.