You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apparent Spotlight fail

Hello Folks,

I use Spotlight frequently and when trying to do that today I couldn't find something in my iMac. As I considered what was happening weird I made a test. I copied the name of one file and pasted it on Spotlight and Spotlight returned with "No results". I did it with another file and the same: "No results".

I restarted the iMac, but no changes. Note that I store all my files on 3 different places: Macintosh HD, an external HD and in iCloud Drive, but Spotlight found nothing - See attachments

I would appreciate any suggestion, hint or guidance

Thanks Paulo

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 9, 2019 6:44 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 10, 2019 12:18 PM in response to pmonnerat

Spotlight requires the use of certain keywords to narrow your search results. Just specifying a file name causes Spotlight to check every category selected in its preferences for a text string representing that filename. Slow, or no results. Instead, you might have tried the following:

kind:image +.jpg AND name:PMV

name:.xlsx AND name:"brazilian reports"

Find all .jpg whose name contains PMV. Find all Excel .xlsx whose name contains "brazilian reports." I almost never rebuild my Spotlight index, and have no issues with finding what I seek with the right combination of keywords.

Apparent Spotlight fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.