You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air Storage

My system takes up over 110 GB of my 121 GB storage available on my MacBook Air. I get notification that my storage is limited and that I should go free space but I can't do anything because I am required to have what I have on my Mac. How can I get the system not use so much space?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 10:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2019 3:32 PM

There is something going on (that shouldn't be) as mine takes up less than 30 GB with the Apple apps.

You can also check Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities) to see what process is running overtime and download the etrecheck report (available in the app store) which will analyze your contents. Run it and follow directions to post it here using the third little icon in the toolbar in the reply window.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 26, 2019 3:32 PM in response to DylanWhite

There is something going on (that shouldn't be) as mine takes up less than 30 GB with the Apple apps.

You can also check Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities) to see what process is running overtime and download the etrecheck report (available in the app store) which will analyze your contents. Run it and follow directions to post it here using the third little icon in the toolbar in the reply window.

Nov 26, 2019 2:37 PM in response to DylanWhite

because I am required to have what I have on my Mac

Can you expand on that?

If you have a lot of space hogging things like videos, photos, etc., simply get an external drive and move them over. You can then delete them on the internal hard drive to gain space. As a general recommendation, you should maintain an absolute minimum of 10 - 15 GB of empty space at all times; more is better.

Nov 26, 2019 2:50 PM in response to DylanWhite

That's too much for the system alone. Run the free Omni DiskSweeper to see what's hogging your space:

https://www.omnigroup.com/more

DiskSweeper can give you a more accurate read of disk space than Finder or Storage Tab of About this Mac. It can also show you the precise size and location of all your files. It will inventory your disk starting from the files that take up the most space. If you want you can even delete files from OmniDisk Sweeper. But be careful some of the items may be important to your system.

MacBook Air Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.