You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EMERGENCY: Time machine seems to be backed up, but will not move to older backups

I can see the current window in the front, and the dates on the side indicate backups for exactly the length I would expect since I set it up (around a month), but I cannot click on any previous date and the arrows do not show me older "versions."

Meanwhile, I need a missing file for work right away. Any ideas?

Note: I am backing up Time Machine to two drives, which is something you can choose in the settings. Could this be the problem?

Sierra 10.12.6

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 2:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2019 2:34 AM

OK, I solved it but will leave a note in case others face this. I had to click and look inside specific folders, because they each have their own backups, effectively. Once I clicked on folders, I was able to see them on other dates. It was only the first, main screen that did not allow me to look back in time. Hooray!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 21, 2019 2:34 AM in response to A. Steinberg

OK, I solved it but will leave a note in case others face this. I had to click and look inside specific folders, because they each have their own backups, effectively. Once I clicked on folders, I was able to see them on other dates. It was only the first, main screen that did not allow me to look back in time. Hooray!

EMERGENCY: Time machine seems to be backed up, but will not move to older backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.