You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't open icloud files on MacBook (although I can open those files on iPhone)

Hi,

I'm using iCloud drive on my MacBook [OS X 10.15.1] as well as on my iPhone. On both devices I can see the files, I can browse the folders, I can see the contents in the Finder window, I can open the files on the iPhone BUT I can't open those same files on the Mac: Finder replies the file can't be opened - regardless of file type.

I've switched off iCloud drive and switched back on, I've logged out of iCloud and on again - all of this doesn't seem to help. What's next?

Regards,

Bob

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 17, 2019 11:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2019 5:00 PM

Hi there, Bob.

I see that you're unable to open document you're syncing through iCloud Drive using your MacBook on macOS 10.15.1, and I'm glad to help.

iCloud Drive FAQ -- This article provides the information and steps that you need to open documents you have in iCloud Drive. Are you able to open the documents if you log into icloud.com/iclouddrive?

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- If you're still unable to open documents, restart your Mac in safe mode and see if you can access them. If it works while in safe mode, reboot normally and test again in your own user account.

If this doesn't correct the problem, please describe the issue in greater detail. Please include the full text of any messages you receive. The more information you provide, the better we'll be able to offer additional guidance.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 20, 2019 5:00 PM in response to BobAalsma

Hi there, Bob.

I see that you're unable to open document you're syncing through iCloud Drive using your MacBook on macOS 10.15.1, and I'm glad to help.

iCloud Drive FAQ -- This article provides the information and steps that you need to open documents you have in iCloud Drive. Are you able to open the documents if you log into icloud.com/iclouddrive?

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac -- If you're still unable to open documents, restart your Mac in safe mode and see if you can access them. If it works while in safe mode, reboot normally and test again in your own user account.

If this doesn't correct the problem, please describe the issue in greater detail. Please include the full text of any messages you receive. The more information you provide, the better we'll be able to offer additional guidance.

Let me know how that goes, and take care!

Nov 20, 2019 7:18 PM in response to BobAalsma

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Web site version if required.  https://etrecheck.com

can't open icloud files on MacBook (although I can open those files on iPhone)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.