You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Quits When Entering Time Machine

When I try to enter Time Machine to retrieve an email, Mail quits! I've tried this umpteen times including after rebooting computer. Any thoughts?

iMac Retina 4K, 209

16GB 2667 MHz DDR4

OS Catalina 10.15.1

Posted on Nov 12, 2019 9:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 5:05 AM

Again the problem is when I try to enter Time Machine with the Mail app open, both Time Machine & Mail quit. I have now called Apple Support, spent a long time with a very helpful senior rep and am awaiting a follow-up after he consults with an engineer. Others have reported this exact same problem.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 13, 2019 5:05 AM in response to Mary Ann De Stefano

Again the problem is when I try to enter Time Machine with the Mail app open, both Time Machine & Mail quit. I have now called Apple Support, spent a long time with a very helpful senior rep and am awaiting a follow-up after he consults with an engineer. Others have reported this exact same problem.

Nov 12, 2019 9:48 AM in response to Mary Ann De Stefano

And I would know you had all of this knowledge because?????? And no it was not obvious as my mind reading skills were not renewed in last years subscription.

Please use TM to restore the Mail app to a time when you had the message, that is the only way TM will get it back. Please refer to https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/restore-mailboxes-and-their-content-mail15172/mac

Good luck getting assistance, I'm done with this thread.

Nov 12, 2019 9:32 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I've been using a computer for 25+ years. I know that recently deleted mail goes to the trash folder. But I don't store mail there. So if I am looking for something I deleted a couple of months ago, I go to Time Machine. I thought all this was too obvious to mention, but apparently not. Your reply does not answer my question, but thank you.

Nov 12, 2019 10:40 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I'm sorry that you think I was insulting you. I was just trying to provide more information, to let you know I am versed in the basics.

And I guess I am not making myself clear about what I am trying to do.

I want to restore one email---not an entire mailbox which will likely have hundreds of emails in it.

When I have done this (many times) before, I opened Mail to the appropriate mailbox on my computer, then entered Time Machine, where the open mailbox looked just like the one on my computer. Then I went "back in time" until I found the email I was looking for and restored it.

But today when I tried to do that, every time I tried to enter Time Machine, Mail quit, and the operation to enter Time Machine did not complete. If I go to a regular folder's contents (outside of Mail) and try to enter Time Machine, it works just fine. Just not with Mail.

Nov 17, 2019 6:19 PM in response to Leno77

Nope, not solved yet. Support recorded my screen as I tried to access Time Machine from Mail, and took me through a process where various data was collected. Then I got a call back from the senior adviser in a couple days after he talked to an engineer. (In fact he called me on the exact time and day he had promised!) It seems to be an issue with Catalina. They had no fix, but since several people --- like you and me --- have reported it, it will likely be fixed with a future update to Catalina. That's all I know at this point.

Good luck to both of us. I hope this is fixed soon!

Nov 17, 2019 8:08 PM in response to Mary Ann De Stefano

Until you get Apple to respond to you, one guess is that your TM backup may have some corrupted bands that is causing the Mail app to crash when attempting to restore this message.

Do you use a Time Capsule for the destination of the TM backups? If so, you can verify the integrity of the backups by holding down the option key, and then, clicking on the TM icon in the menu bar. Then select the "Verify backups..." option. Let run to see if there are any issues with the backup set.

On the other hand, if you backup to an external drive, you can use Disk Utility's First Aid option to check the drive for errors.

Mail Quits When Entering Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.