You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 lens flare issue

Hi,

Does anyone who use iPhone 11 meets the lens flare issue? My phone's camera makes a serious high light reflection. Sooo annoying!

What do you think? That is a software issue or a hardware defect?

iPhone 11

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 10:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2020 2:21 PM

iPhone 11 Pro’s Achilles Heel

I purchased my iPhone 11 Pro at the end of November 2019 and noticed that the videos I shot had excessive lens flare artifacts floating all over the footage – and still images as well. I had been using the iPhone 6S prior to trading up for the 11 Pro and never had issues with the 6S.

Business obligations kept me distracted until January of 2020 when I decided to test the 11 Pro again in daylight, low light and evening settings. To my disappointment the “floating artifacts” issues were still present. So I contacted Apple’s online support and here’s what happened:

They did diagnostics remotely as I sat in front of my desktop and followed instructions from Apple support. Their assessment was that there were NO ISSUES with the phone or its camera components. BUT, the very obvious visual problems were still there. So after reopening the support case with two follow-up support team members, I was told to bring the 11 Pro to an Apple store to have their qualified engineer/technician look at the phone and camera system. He immediately saw the excessive “Lens flare/floating artifacts” issues and after much debate with the store manager I was sent home with a replacement 11 Pro. I was hopeful that the lens flare issues were isolated to my original phone.

Fast forward to iPhone replacement No. 3 (2+ weeks later) and the “Lens flare/floating artifacts” are still there. Same highly distractive and unacceptable outcomes with 4 iPhone 11 Pros (the original plus 3 replacements).

The last Apple Support Team member was very helpful but engineering has swept this SIGNIFICANT iPhone 11 Pro image capture problem under their rug. They sent a link to a flimsy and generic article about lens flare that had NOTHING to do with the issues with the 11 Pro that many users are encountering. For the record, I am a Creative Director in the advertising and Graphic Design fields and a freelance photojournalist. I know what lens flare is and the best camera and lenses will create them in different lighting environments. BUT the 11 Pro’s “floating artifacts” are considerably more defined poltergeists that will float and bounce over your live footage (and still images) as if they were created on an overlay layer.

I held out hope that Apple would step up to the plate, admit that there is an “issue” with their expensive new 11 Pros, and that they would address it and better yet, correct the problems. NO SUCH LUCK.

Their position as of this writing is again, that there are no problems with the iPhone 11 Pro’s camera components, software and performance. To say I am frustrated and disappointed is an understatement. I’ve been an Apple products user and fan since the early 80’s. I have spent many thousands of dollars on Apple’s Pro-Level computers and devices. They (Apple) have to know that the “Lens Flare” issues that hundreds if not thousands of users are reporting are REAL, are UNACCEPTABLE, and are an Achilles heel that – is unaddressed – will move many users to alternate solutions outside of Apple’s Ivory Towers.

STEP UP to the plate Apple. Your customers deserve better.

JP, Solvang, California

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2020 2:21 PM in response to sodacream

iPhone 11 Pro’s Achilles Heel

I purchased my iPhone 11 Pro at the end of November 2019 and noticed that the videos I shot had excessive lens flare artifacts floating all over the footage – and still images as well. I had been using the iPhone 6S prior to trading up for the 11 Pro and never had issues with the 6S.

Business obligations kept me distracted until January of 2020 when I decided to test the 11 Pro again in daylight, low light and evening settings. To my disappointment the “floating artifacts” issues were still present. So I contacted Apple’s online support and here’s what happened:

They did diagnostics remotely as I sat in front of my desktop and followed instructions from Apple support. Their assessment was that there were NO ISSUES with the phone or its camera components. BUT, the very obvious visual problems were still there. So after reopening the support case with two follow-up support team members, I was told to bring the 11 Pro to an Apple store to have their qualified engineer/technician look at the phone and camera system. He immediately saw the excessive “Lens flare/floating artifacts” issues and after much debate with the store manager I was sent home with a replacement 11 Pro. I was hopeful that the lens flare issues were isolated to my original phone.

Fast forward to iPhone replacement No. 3 (2+ weeks later) and the “Lens flare/floating artifacts” are still there. Same highly distractive and unacceptable outcomes with 4 iPhone 11 Pros (the original plus 3 replacements).

The last Apple Support Team member was very helpful but engineering has swept this SIGNIFICANT iPhone 11 Pro image capture problem under their rug. They sent a link to a flimsy and generic article about lens flare that had NOTHING to do with the issues with the 11 Pro that many users are encountering. For the record, I am a Creative Director in the advertising and Graphic Design fields and a freelance photojournalist. I know what lens flare is and the best camera and lenses will create them in different lighting environments. BUT the 11 Pro’s “floating artifacts” are considerably more defined poltergeists that will float and bounce over your live footage (and still images) as if they were created on an overlay layer.

I held out hope that Apple would step up to the plate, admit that there is an “issue” with their expensive new 11 Pros, and that they would address it and better yet, correct the problems. NO SUCH LUCK.

Their position as of this writing is again, that there are no problems with the iPhone 11 Pro’s camera components, software and performance. To say I am frustrated and disappointed is an understatement. I’ve been an Apple products user and fan since the early 80’s. I have spent many thousands of dollars on Apple’s Pro-Level computers and devices. They (Apple) have to know that the “Lens Flare” issues that hundreds if not thousands of users are reporting are REAL, are UNACCEPTABLE, and are an Achilles heel that – is unaddressed – will move many users to alternate solutions outside of Apple’s Ivory Towers.

STEP UP to the plate Apple. Your customers deserve better.

JP, Solvang, California

Feb 1, 2020 7:27 AM in response to JimP_Solvang

Me and my partner are just on our way back from our appointment with the manager of our local Apple store.

He admitted it was a problem with the 11 Pro and said there is nothing they can do. We are too far out of our warrantee for a replacement and his only solution was to download a photo shop tool to remove the artefacts!

I paid £2500 to this company for their answer to be download and pay for 3rd party software to fix you photos!

iPhone 11 lens flare issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.