You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old Time Machine Backups not accessible with new Mac

I've changed from a 2008 Mac Pro (El Capitan) to an iMac (Mojave). The TM backup was on a external HD which I connected to the new Mac telling it this was the HD it had to use for TM. Unfortunately I cannot access anymore the backups prior to the computer replacement: the older dates in the timeline are gray-red instead bright and nothing happens. The old backups are still there though, I can see them in Finder. Thanks for any ideas how to "merge"the old with the new backups. Christoph

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 4, 2019 8:48 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Nov 8, 2019 2:18 PM in response to chrism_31

Hello chrism_31,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities. I understand that you’re unable to restore from your Time Machine backup, and that the option is grayed out. I’d love to assist, and recommend that you follow each step in the below support article: 

If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine

You can also inherit the previous backup history. Check out the article below:

If your new Mac inherits your backup history

If you’re still having trouble, contact Apple Support for further assistance:

Get Support

I hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Nov 10, 2019 7:21 AM in response to chrism_31

I had the same type issue recently with my time machine, with the grey-red timeline. It was not the result of upgrading OS though. I ran first aid, in disk utility from the application folder. It took quite some time as I have a large external HD. When finished I was able to access my old backups. Hope this helps you.

Neil

Nov 11, 2019 7:37 AM in response to chrism_31

Hello;

It looks like the name will be changed for your time machine backups. If that is the case you will have to go to Time machine Preferences and select the disk (now with a new name) . Terminal commands are beyond my scope. I have upgraded the OSX software many times from Snow Leopard onwards and have never had an issue with ™ not working correctly from the get go. Two or three times I have had to run first aid on the external drive as indicated in my previous message.

Good Luck

Neil

Nov 13, 2019 1:00 PM in response to chrism_31

We do know older HFS+ TM files are no longer available in apfs— the container now has two volumes: System and Data—you can see how this would be a problem. Updated TM to Catalina will not be able to be read by older macOS.

"There are good reasons for creating a new backup set for Catalina anyway. As all system files are replaced, most other files change paths, and Catalina has a complete new layout on two APFS volumes, the first backup after upgrading is likely to approach the size of a full backup anyway. Giving it a clean start also means that your existing backups shouldn’t be converted to the new format, allowing you access to them if you needed to revert to Mojave, for instance."

This may or may not be your issue, however

You can read more:

https://eclecticlight.co/2019/11/11/time-machine-and-backing-up-in-catalina/

Old Time Machine Backups not accessible with new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.