You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods missing and Offline

I can't find my AirPods. Find my iphone shows that they are offline and the last time I used them was in my office but they are no longer there. My question is, how are AirPods ever online when they are not being used and in their case? I believe that the only time find my iPhone shows them as online is when I am using them and they are connected to my phone. Find my iPhone shows them as last being found in my office at 8 am last Thursday but they would have still been in my office for the remainder of that day (i.e. they only seem to register when actually being used and when you are actually using them they will never be lost). What am I missing?

Posted on Oct 29, 2019 10:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2019 9:44 AM

Hello,

They will only show up when charged and in-range. See this:

If your AirPods are lost

Good luck.

3 replies

Oct 30, 2019 10:05 AM in response to MrBill3

I ended up finding them the old fashion way. Mine were charged and in range of my iPhone (probably within 15 feed) but they still could not be located. Only thing that showed on my find my iphone page was the last location used which was almost a week ago. Do they have to be connected through bluetooth to a device that has internet access to be located? Otherwise, how do they send out or receive a signal to show location? Maybe I need to change a setting?

Oct 30, 2019 2:07 PM in response to jdodaro

To add to this, the AirPods are currently in their case fully charged sitting right next to my iPhone. When I try to locate them with find my iPhone, they show last location being 40 minutes ago which was the last time I used them connected to my phone. Unless I don't have them set up correctly, it seems like find my iPhone will only find them in real time if/when they are actually being used which doesn't seem very useful.

AirPods missing and Offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.