You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

catalina and iPhone 4s

Tried to backup my iPhone 4s (iOS 9.3.6) on Catalina (10.15). After opening in Finder, the iPhone is treated like a new iPhone and I am given two options: reinstall a previous backup, or install the phone as a new phone. I do not get the option to backup the iPhone, which is what I want.

Anyone a similar problem and solution?

Kind regards,

Ton Lansink

Posted on Oct 27, 2019 9:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2019 2:18 AM

The phone has not previously been connected to this mac/os so it is asking whether or not to add a "new device" really it's talking about the connection - once you say yes - the next screens will show all the normal options. I would love if they changed the wording of this particular screen to something less ambiguous

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 7, 2019 2:18 AM in response to Ton Lansink

The phone has not previously been connected to this mac/os so it is asking whether or not to add a "new device" really it's talking about the connection - once you say yes - the next screens will show all the normal options. I would love if they changed the wording of this particular screen to something less ambiguous

catalina and iPhone 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.