You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an inexpensive scanner which is compatible with Catalina OS?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 6:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2019 9:33 AM

Identify the scanner and features that you want to purchase, but before hand, see if the scanner is supported by the paid, non-subscription, 64-bit VueScan — without any vendor scanner drivers or support software. This now gives you vendor independence of driver support in the future when the vendor no longer supports the scanner. I continue to use VueScan Professional on a Canon scanner that has not been supported by Canon in over a decade.

A scanner vendor must support 64-bit drivers on Catalina, and you should confirm with the vendor that this is the case before a scanner purchase — unless VueScan supports the scanner without vendor drivers.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 11, 2019 9:33 AM in response to yukon54

Identify the scanner and features that you want to purchase, but before hand, see if the scanner is supported by the paid, non-subscription, 64-bit VueScan — without any vendor scanner drivers or support software. This now gives you vendor independence of driver support in the future when the vendor no longer supports the scanner. I continue to use VueScan Professional on a Canon scanner that has not been supported by Canon in over a decade.

A scanner vendor must support 64-bit drivers on Catalina, and you should confirm with the vendor that this is the case before a scanner purchase — unless VueScan supports the scanner without vendor drivers.

Oct 23, 2019 9:59 AM in response to yukon54

Hello yukon54,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you would like to get a scanner that is compatible with macOS Catalina. The good news is the Apple Online Store has a some devices being that can scan and are compatible with macOS Catalina so please see this link for more info:

Printers & Scanners - Mac Accessories - Apple

Cheers!

Nov 11, 2019 9:13 AM in response to Teddy_B

Are we certain that these devices work with Catalina? When I have looked at the support pages for the HP products in the Apple Store, it seems that they have problems. I'd feel more confident if someone has actually used something, or if the manufacturer or Apple explicitly said that something was supported.

Also most of the products in the Apple Store are a bit pricey because they are mostly all-in-one devices that can scan. I would ideally be looking for a flat bed scanner.

Nov 11, 2019 4:05 PM in response to yukon54

I appreciate the response, but I am looking for something more specific like model names and drivers. VueScan adds $50 to the cost of a scanner, but it is definitely worth considering given the very confusing state of scanner drivers for the mac. Alas VueScan doesn't have a 64 bit driver for my CanoScan LIDE 70, or didn't the last time I checked. Otherwise I would be scanning happily instead of checking community sites for clues.

I have to admit that I am a little concerned that this was not on Apple's radar for the 64bit conversion. The last time they changed how printers and scanners worked I remember them being more proactive.

Anyway, thanks for the response ... please post the particulars of your set up!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.