You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina's Music.app never matches songs, instead it gives you a DRM-protected song

Apple Music is supposed to cover all iTunes Match functionalities. This is clearly stated on the official iTunes Match service page.

It always has been that way: when you added an external song, e.g. ripped from a CD, to iTunes, it matched it to the 50-milion-song iTunes Store library. It appeared as "iCloud status: Matched" and "Type: Matched AAC audio file", or "iCloud status: Uploaded" if the song was not found in iTunes Store library.

In Catalina's Music.app it correctly matches the song, but then it appears as "Type: Apple Music AAC audio file" and if you try to delete it you are warned that "The copy you are deleting is not stored on other computers...", and when you re-download it it is just an unusable .M4P DRM-protected file.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 14, 2019 5:40 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 14, 2019 7:30 PM in response to turingtest2

No, you don't get the point. I absolutely know what that warning means.

Previously, on iTunes:

• i had a CD
  • i ripped it with iTunes
  • iTunes scanned my ripped tracks
  • iTunes matched them against iTunes Store / Apple Music catalogue
  • my tracks were marked as "Matched" (or "Uploaded" if not found, but this is not the case)
  • I could then delete the local copy and download the iTunes Store / Apple Music version (DRM-free)

I did that for almost every CD in my collection.

Now, when I delete the track and re-download it, I get a unusable DRMed copy.

Oct 14, 2019 7:45 PM in response to teejay87

As long as you use Remove Download and not Delete from Library then you can get the DRM free version from the store. Just did it with half of this album.

Too much faff to make another image now, but after using Remove Download the tracks stayed in the library with cloud symbols, still registering as MPEG audio files. This album was added to my music library on Catalina two days ago from existing files I had on another computer. If new files you're ripping into the library are showing up as Apple Music AAC audio files then something is very definitely wrong. If existing content in your library is showing as Apple Music when you don't think it should then perhaps, just perhaps, you're mistaken. Do you have a backup drive with the original rips independent of your Apple Music library?

tt2

Oct 14, 2019 6:26 PM in response to teejay87

If you want to reclaim the space used by a matched or uploaded track you should use the Remove Download option to preserve the reference to the track in the cloud. By deleting the tracks you're removing them from the library completely. They disappear from any device immediately and computer that only has access to the cloud copy. If you have a downloaded copy in another computer library that would be marked as removed and you would have been able to add it back to the iCloud Music Library from there. I'm actually impressed by the "The copy you are deleting is not stored on other computers..." warning. That should have been enough to make you stop and reconsider what you were about to do. There are three full parallel copies of my library and I've never seen it when testing the behaviour of cloud content.

tt2

Catalina's Music.app never matches songs, instead it gives you a DRM-protected song

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.