You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to activate iMessages with my very old iPhone 4S after transferring my phone number.

Hello.

Yesterday, I transferred my old Verizon Wireless cell phone number from my old iPhone 4S (iOS v9.3.6; got it in early 2015) to my new used iPhone 6+. Obviously, I can't use its SMS but I can still use Apple's iMessages. However, iPhone 4S' iMessage Activation keep says "An error occurred during activation. Try again." even if I use my Apple ID account for its iMessages. "Send & Receive" is using my Apple ID e-mail address, and not my old Verizon Wireless former cell phone number. I already tried signing out and rebooting. None of them help. Also, I'm using its US region server. Once, I did get its iMessage Activation error saying "Unable to contact the iMessage server. Try again."

How do I fix this so I can still iMessage on my iPhone 4S? Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

iPhone 4S

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 12:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply
5 replies

Oct 9, 2019 1:40 PM in response to antdude

OK. That was weird. Late yesterday morning, I decided to reuse my old iPhone 4S, re-enabled its wifi (disabled it since I didn't want it to be active online), and got a text from the 28th and No. CA, US (also a VZW carrier #). How is that even possible without an active cellular service and disabled wifi? I still can't send iMessages from it! :/

Unable to activate iMessages with my very old iPhone 4S after transferring my phone number.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.