You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find/Replace Invisible Characters

Apple: Please put back the find/replace functionality. We editors need to be able to find/replace invisible characters quickly and Pages 8 can't do it. I love all the new "pretty" features, but functionality should not be on the chopping block for the sake of beauty.

MacBook

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 10:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2019 4:14 PM

Thank you for the feedback; sorry about posting this in the wrong place. I thought I had started a support feedback (based on the link I clicked).

Unfortunately, the coding trick I did research and was misled a bit. What I saw was /i, not \i. Did not think to try the \i.

I don't, however, understand why they wouldn't go back to a more user-friendly panel. What harm does it do to them to, if not go back, simply listen to the bulk of users and add that functionality. It can't possibly take that much effort for the experienced coders/designers to do this, but does take the users with deadlines precious work time doing internet research to find answers. Not everyone is aware of coding shortcuts, which makes it difficult to know even what to look for. I would at least like to see this information in the general help menus/site for iWork products for support to newer users, accompanied by a list of the coding shortcuts.

I guess what I'm saying is that in this days and age, something like this should just be easier for the price we pay for these things.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 17, 2019 4:14 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for the feedback; sorry about posting this in the wrong place. I thought I had started a support feedback (based on the link I clicked).

Unfortunately, the coding trick I did research and was misled a bit. What I saw was /i, not \i. Did not think to try the \i.

I don't, however, understand why they wouldn't go back to a more user-friendly panel. What harm does it do to them to, if not go back, simply listen to the bulk of users and add that functionality. It can't possibly take that much effort for the experienced coders/designers to do this, but does take the users with deadlines precious work time doing internet research to find answers. Not everyone is aware of coding shortcuts, which makes it difficult to know even what to look for. I would at least like to see this information in the general help menus/site for iWork products for support to newer users, accompanied by a list of the coding shortcuts.

I guess what I'm saying is that in this days and age, something like this should just be easier for the price we pay for these things.

Sep 17, 2019 11:30 AM in response to Red24_standing_by

Seriously, we are fellow users, and neither Apple, nor the Pages product team participate in these communities. You have a Provide Pages Feedback menu item in the Pages application menu. That goes directly to the Pages product team.

The View menu has Show Invisibles, just like it has had for a very long time. The Find/Replace panel in Pages v8.1 is the same panel that shipped with Pages v5 in October 2013, and ever since. Apple is not going to change this to a Pages '09 v4.3 Find/Replace panel.

There are shortcuts for finding paragraph/line breaks (the pilcrow) and that is \n. For soft returns, it is a \i, and for tabs it is a \t character.

Find/Replace Invisible Characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.