You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac won’t finish start up, there is an Apple symbol and progress bar that stops “progressing” less than a quarter of the way. Help!

My iMac won’t finish start up. There is a black screen with the Apple symbol and below that is the progress bar that only lights up less than a quarter of the way and then stops. I’ve tried the hard reboot by holding the power button down until it shuts off. And turn it back on, but the progress bar stops at the same length every time.

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 7, 2019 9:43 PM

14 replies

Sep 10, 2019 11:31 AM in response to Vez-11

Excellent, for further analysis you can run an Etrecheck report. It is a diagnostic tool that's very useful to us in finding problems. Also it will give us further specs on your Mac. After it runs post the log file here. It will contain no personal information. Allowing full drive access will improve the quality of the report.

To post the log file click on share report and use the Page icon in your reply window.

Sep 8, 2019 6:40 AM in response to Vez-11

Try an SMC reset:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Try starting up in Safe Mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If neither of those work boot into Recovery and Reinstall Mac OS.

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Try Single User Mode (hold command-s keys)

At the prompt, enter this command:

/sbin/fsck -fy

Press the Return key.

This will check your directory and report that it was OK or repaired. Then enter this command to startup normally:

reboot

Run Apple Diagnostics  

Press and hold the d key on startup:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

If none of those work make a Genius Bar appointment for a free diagnostic:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Sep 8, 2019 7:01 AM in response to Vez-11

Also try a NVRAM reset, as per > Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

and starting up in macOS Recovery Mode, as per > About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

If you are using a wireless keyboard? It may have become up-paired and you may need to use a USB keyboard to input the above startup commands. (FWIW you can use most ant generic or pc keyboard to input key commands)

Sep 10, 2019 12:03 PM in response to Vez-11

I'm beginning to suspect a failing hard drive or other hardware problem. If you can boot into Apple diagnostics you can run that and see if it comes up with anything.

Run Apple Diagnostics  

Press and hold the d key on startup:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

It's not the most effective test but if it reports a problem you can be pretty certain there is one. But just because it reports np problem doesn't mean that one doesn't exist.

Sep 10, 2019 11:07 AM in response to macjack

Awesome!! I turned it on this morning after trying a few things last night with the plug in keyboard (nothing happened last night) went to do the NVRAM and PRAM thing, turned on the computer and voila it came on to sign in screen (finally) now I’m going through updates and doing the sleep, then restart, then shut down, so far it’s doing it’s thing...well the restart is slow but progressing further than it did before. I’ll let you know if it’s snagging again. I was ready to make a Genius Bar appt.

Sep 10, 2019 12:39 PM in response to macjack

I’m reinstalling macOS Mojave...fingers crossed. I tried the Time Machine back up but it wasn’t doing much, just searching for backups. As soon as I can Get back on the system I’ll run that other report from that app. If a failed hard drive is the problem, can Apple fix that for us? The diagnostics had said no issues found ADP000, like you said it might, but obviously something is askew!

My iMac won’t finish start up, there is an Apple symbol and progress bar that stops “progressing” less than a quarter of the way. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.