You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t save file “to my phone?

Please before you think to add that support link again don’t. I’m unable to even get the option to click and add “to my phone” I was able to use this feature last year. I can no longer use it. I need actual help rectify this

iPhone 7

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 1:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2019 1:56 PM

Yes, the reason that there are no options under the "On My iPhone" is that, natively, iOS does not have a file management system. The Apple Files app will only save to this location if the apps creating the files are either Pages, Numbers, or Keynote. Since a PDF is not one of these, there is no option to save it here. Instead, the Files app relies on cloud services to save files to.

Again, this is why I use FileBrowser. You may want to consider doing the same.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 26, 2019 1:56 PM in response to chekube

Yes, the reason that there are no options under the "On My iPhone" is that, natively, iOS does not have a file management system. The Apple Files app will only save to this location if the apps creating the files are either Pages, Numbers, or Keynote. Since a PDF is not one of these, there is no option to save it here. Instead, the Files app relies on cloud services to save files to.

Again, this is why I use FileBrowser. You may want to consider doing the same.

Aug 26, 2019 1:42 PM in response to chekube

Ok, I just verified the following worked for me. I have an iPhone SE running iOS 12.4.

• Tap on the attached PDF file in the Mail app mail message. This should "open" the PDF for viewing.
  • Tap on the small box with an upward pointing arrow in the lower-left corner.
  • Tap on "Save to Files."
  • Tap on the location that you want to save it to. I chose "On My iPhone." I my case, I had two locations to save it to: FileBrowser and HP Smart. (Both of these apps are on my phone.) I then tapped on Add.
  • When I open the FileBrowser app on my phone, I can find the PDF in the "On My iPhone" folder.

Where you can save a PDF file to will depend on what you have available on your iPhone. In my case, I rely on the FileBrowser app. The native Apple Files app will only allow you to save iWork files directly to the phone.

Can’t save file “to my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.