You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Card not showing up in Apple Watch

I just recently got the Apple Card and added it to my wallet on iOS. I'm now looking in the Apple Watch app to set it as the default card, but only my other normal cards are showing.

Any ideas why I can't see the Apple Card at all in the Apple Watch app? Thanks.

iPhone 8+

Apple Watch gen 1

Apple Watch

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 11:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2019 3:44 PM

This is a better article for your problem (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209257). Specifically the section that reads, “You need watchOS 5 or later to add Apple Card to your Apple Watch.” The first generation Apple Watch is not capable of running this version of watchOS so you won’t be able to use Apple Card on your Watch until you upgrade to Series 1 or newer. Hope this helps!

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 25, 2019 3:44 PM in response to KenRich

This is a better article for your problem (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209257). Specifically the section that reads, “You need watchOS 5 or later to add Apple Card to your Apple Watch.” The first generation Apple Watch is not capable of running this version of watchOS so you won’t be able to use Apple Card on your Watch until you upgrade to Series 1 or newer. Hope this helps!

Sep 5, 2019 7:16 AM in response to connorfromgrinnell

@connorfromgrinnell Thanks for clearing that up. I've wasted hours trying to figure out why this isn't working. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Apple:

1. Why would the answer to this problem be in an article titled: "How to apply for Apple Card"?
  2. The statement "You need watchOS 5 or later to add Apple Card to your Apple Watch." only leads me to more wasted time searching on why my watch (1st gen) won't update and says my software is up-to-date. How about: "Series 1 or later only or 1 gen not compatible"?
  3. All my other cards work on my 1st gen watch - why on Earth would I ever think that (since my iPhone 6S has the most up-to-date software and has Apple Card) that it wouldn't also work on my 1st gen watch?
  4. How is the tech (hardware) different???? it's a linked (software) account! Oh, you want me to buy a new watch? Well, at least now I can get 3% cash back if I use my Apple Card....
  5. Yes, I took your Apple Support Survey, but how you will understand why I didn't have a good experience using those survey questions is beyond me. You're asking the wrong questions.
  6. Cool products, waaaaaaay to complicated for the average guy. Not everyone is a Apple Genius. A simple message on my iPhone when I try to add the Card and can't: "hey, you have a 1 gen watch, unfortunately Apple Card requires a newer watch [Link to apple store to show me what's compatible to buy]. That's simple genius.

Sep 25, 2019 4:44 AM in response to KenRich

Actually this worked for me on 1st gen Apple Watch (iOS 12.4 I guess). But then I unpaired that watch and paired it with the new iPhone 11 Pro. Now it doesn’t work :P

I have several transactions with Apple Card already over the course of the past couple weeks and never used Apple Pay with my phone before (always with the watch) until yesterday when I was in a drive through line and realized Apple Card was (strangely) missing from my watch.

Based on what I’ve seen, the only reason for preventing Apple Card on the original watch is to encourage everyone to buy a new watch, which I’m sure I don’t want to do right now. Even though the new ones have an always-on display (cool!) they’re too expensive.

That said, my ability to use Apple Card was likely a “mistake” that they are “correcting”, which is pretty depressing.

Anyhow, my solution was to sign up for a new card to replace Apple Card... one that earns 2% back for all purchases regardless of whether you’re using Apple Pay (won’t put it here, just Google it if interested).

Apple Card is great for purchases with Apple (services, hardware, app purchases), but I don’t think these restrictions on Apple Watch Gen 1 can be justified in any way when there are other cards that earn more cash back and also don’t have any annual fees. It’s a shame, I would’ve loved to use Apple Card everywhere.

Apple Card not showing up in Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.